Practice/Industry Group Overview
Attorneys at GrayRobinson have considerable experience advising not-for-profit and tax-exempt organizations. In addition to addressing taxation and general corporate issues, intellectual property and labor and employment issues, attorneys provide the necessary guidance to support the development of each organization's vision.
While the overall experience of GrayRobinson attorneys in this area of law would be too great to name in its entirety, the following are specific representative examples:
- Munroe Regional Healthcare System, Inc. a 501(c)(3) hospital system in Marion county Florida.
- Bridge of America, Inc. and Christian Prison Ministries, Inc. organizations that assist prisoners in transitioning into society.
- Community Education Partners, Inc. and related charter schools, a charter school management organization and opening of alternative schools.
- Lakeside Bahavioral Healthcare, Inc. a 501(c)(3) mental health organization.
- HOPE worldwide, an international social welfare organization with affiliates in 80 countries.
- Florida Hospital Foundation and Florida Hospital Celebration Health, organizations that promote the growth of health and wellness facilities.
- Central Florida High-Tech Corridor, a group that strives to attract high-tech businesses to the region.
- Florida Manufacturing Technology Council, an association to assist manufacturers with integrating technology into their operations.
A Wide Range of Services
For these and other not-for-profit organizations, the firm has assisted in a number of areas, including:
- Advice regarding tax-exempt status and operation
- Corporate transactions
- Initial qualification as a tax-exempt entity
- Formation of operating entities
- Structuring planned giving arrangements
- Intermediate Sanctions
- Drafting conflict-of-interest policies
- Directors' liability issues
- Implementing for-profit subsidiaries
- Structuring and receiving major contributions
- Intellectual Property matters
- Labor and Employment matters
The firm's attorneys also have experience in advising clients regarding the impact of a transaction on an organization's tax-exempt status, representing clients before federal and state tax agencies, examining revenue issues and providing other technical advice. Attorneys also can assist in the design of employee compensation plans, including qualified deferred compensation plans.