Practice/Industry Group Overview
GrayRobinson has long provided its clients with effective representation before all levels of Florida government including city, county, special district, state and the U.S. Congress. When there was a dispute as to whether Bush or Gore won the election in Florida, GrayRobinson was asked to play a major role in representing the Republican Party. When Palm Bay, Port St. Lucie and North Port decided to purchase major utilities, our firm was there representing those municipalities. When litigation was brought to no longer allow cars on the beaches of Daytona, our firm was hired to represent the county.
Over the years, we have served as general counsel and/or special counsel to numerous cities, counties, and public agencies. We have also represented hundreds of clients before governmental entities relating to everything from bidder's protests to DRIs. We have successfully lobbied at all levels of government.
Our firm serves as counsel to the Florida House of Representatives with regards to reapportionment issues and the Florida Citrus Commission. Our attorneys counsel the Department of Management Services on a variety of employee benefits issues and have also represented the state's largest and oldest private children's services agency in negotiating and contracting with the state in the current privatization of child protection services.
GrayRobinson is very involved in the political process and our team understands how state and local government really works.
Representation Before Local Government
The experience and reputation gained during the firm's years of public service enable it to provide quality legal services to the private sector in the areas of public finance, utilities, zoning, procurement, environmental and land use law. In addition, members of our public law team have served on the staff of governmental agencies for both state and local governments, providing our clients with a unique perspective and knowledge of local government. The public law group has been fulfilling the legal needs of large-scale developers, contractors, and utilities throughout Florida.
- Governmental Operations and Home Rule. Through the firm's representation of counties and municipalities, we have developed experience and depth in all areas of home rule law, public records law, sunshine law, procurement issues, governmental ethics, public utilities, solid waste and all other aspects of governmental operation.
- Public Finance and Taxation. With respect to public finance and taxation, GrayRobinson has represented issuers and underwriters in a variety of local government financings, including dependent and independent special districts.
Representation Before State Government
- Legislative Representation. The firm has decades of experience in lobbying the Florida Legislature, both offensively and defensively, on behalf of public and private entities. Many of our public law attorneys began their careers as staff to the Florida Legislature, Governor's Office and state agencies, providing our clients with a unique perspective on the most efficient means of meeting their legislative goals. The firm is quite active in the political process and maintains close relationships with its local delegations and political leadership.
- Administrative Representation. The firm's state government experience does not stop with the legislature. Whether the issue is lobbying executive agencies, safeguarding legislation through the rule-making process, licensing, regulatory matters or Chapter 120 Administrative Law proceedings, GrayRobinson has the experience and relationships necessary to provide our clients with effective representation before all state agencies, offices and the Florida Cabinet.
- Procurement. The firm provides legal counsel relating to all aspects of procurement, including assistance in the preparation of bids, RFP's and proposals; contract negotiation; bid protests; appellate review and contract disputes.
- Environmental and Land Use Law. The firm's experience as Orange County Attorney has generated a sophisticated and wide-ranging practice in the fields of environmental regulation and land use planning. GrayRobinson is recognized throughout the state for its experience and ability in representing both public and private clients in land use, DRI, zoning, comprehensive planning and environmental proceedings involving new development.
- Election Law. The firm is ideally situated to meet client needs in the full range of state elections, campaign and ethics matters. The firm has represented political candidates in election contests and resign-to-run law litigation. The firm has also represented members of the legislature, the cabinet, and served as Special Counsel to Governor Bush in public officer impeachment litigation. In addition, in 1992, members of the firm represented the Republican Party of Florida in Redistricting litigation and in 2002, the firm represented the Florida House of Representatives as Redistricting Counsel.