Practice/Industry Group Overview
For today’s corporations, intellectual property can be a source of both major revenue and considerable risk. As infringement and counterfeiting cases have become more and more common, companies have seen the potential costs involved in protecting their IP rights rise dramatically. Companies need IP management strategies designed for maximum protection. However, when litigation is unavoidable, they can also draw on Greenberg Traurig’s experienced IP litigation team.
Enforcing IP rights against infringement often requires quick and decisive action to secure injunctive relief and skillful advocacy to recover monetary damages. GT provides IP enforcement with both the wide-ranging experience of a boutique and the staff and resources of an international firm. With experience in federal and state court litigation of patent, trademark, trade dress, trade secret and copyright infringement, as well as in computer software-related disputes, we have handled some of the most complex IP cases.
- Prosecute and defend patent litigation matters in U.S. federal district courts throughout the United States on behalf of highly diverse clients – from small private companies to some of the world’s leading corporations and institutions
- Provide clients with the benefit of our experience arguing cases at the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which hears all patent appeals from district courts around the United States
- Tailor litigation strategies to meet each client’s business needs and objectives
- Protect clients’ rights in trademarks and trade dress through instruction, investigation and negotiation
- Conduct complex litigation involving trademark licensing issues, parallel trade, trademark infringement, trademark counterfeiting, trade dress infringement, trademark dilution, false advertising, copyright infringement and rights of publicity
- Resolve problems in difficult jurisdictions across Asia, the Americas, Europe and elsewhere with an established worldwide network to implement global brand protection programs on a fast, economical and effective basis
- Handle the many phases of litigation, including applications for emergency injunctive relief (temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, seizures), declaratory judgment proceedings, trials and appeals, in federal courts throughout the United States and in judicial tribunals around the world
- Regularly defend clients in the technology, media and entertainment industries
- Represent clients in some of the most sophisticated cases in the courts today involving landmark issues such as entertainers’ rights of publicity and the liability of online service providers for IP violations occurring on their websites
- Draw on the capabilities of GT’s international and domestic copyright practice, which focuses on securing copyright registrations to protect original works of authorship and handles development, licensing and distribution for books, music, film, sound recordings, software, new media, photography, art and multimedia