Practice/Industry Group Overview
Greenberg Traurig’s Aviation & Aircraft Finance Group represents airlines, leasing companies, financial institutions and aviation-related businesses in aircraft, engine and spare parts finance and leasing matters, airline financings and acquisitions, general corporate, and commercial and operational matters.
Our team has significant experience in the representation of airlines, both U.S. and foreign, in connection with fleet enhancement programs, aircraft and engine financings involving a wide variety of finance structures and products, equipment leases and general commercial and operational matters specific to the airline industry.
We regularly represent airlines, leasing companies, lenders, corporations and individuals in the acquisition, financing, leasing and sale of commercial and corporate aircraft, spare engines, parts and other equipment. We also assist our clients with the implementation of their corporate strategies, including equity and debt financings, mergers, acquisitions, investments in airlines and related companies, and strategic alliances and other commercial and operational arrangements such as code share and marketing alliances, frequent flyer programs, technology systems, communications services, ground-handling, interline arrangements and maintenance agreements.
Previous and recent Aviation and Aircraft Finance Group transactions include the structuring, negotiation, documentation, implementation and restructuring of:
- Multi-aircraft and engine purchase orders with all major aircraft and engine manufacturers, including Airbus, ATR, Boeing, Embraer, CFM, GE, Rolls Royce and IAE
- Predelivery payment financings including secured loans and bonds
- Export credit facilities, including European Export Credit Agency, Eximbank and BNDES supported loans and finance leases and PEFCO loans, often combined with SOAR and commercial facilities, Japanese Operating Leases, French “Credit Bail” and other financing structures
- Manufacturer credit facilities and credit enhancement, including asset value/residual value guarantees
- Product support arrangements including warranties, guarantees and power by the hour and fleet hour agreements
- Mortgage financing and aircraft securitizations
- Lease financing structures, including various cross-border leveraged and other tax-driven lease structures such as U.S., German, Swedish and French leveraged lease financings
- Leveraged lease unwinds
- Japanese operating leases
- French “Credit Bail”
- Conditional sales arrangements
- Equipment trusts
- Mortgage financings
- Sale leasebacks
- Spare parts, ground handling equipment and engine financings
- Airline receivables financings
- Operating lease transactions, including leases to carriers in North America, Europe, Asia and South and Central America involving complex residual value risk, return condition, subleasing and insurance provisions
- Sales and acquisitions of aircraft portfolios
- Fuel purchase and hedging contracts and currency hedging
- Fractional interest programs
Together with our Business Reorganization & Financial Restructuring Practice, we advise aviation clients on restructuring strategies, including significant out-of-court restructurings, and have participated in several major airline and aviation industry bankruptcies representing airlines, lenders, lessors and creditor committees. We draw upon resources from other groups within our firm, including the Tax, Antitrust, Governmental Affairs, Environmental, Intellectual Property and Labor & Employment Practices, in order to ensure a prompt response to all of our aviation-related clients’ needs.