A recognized and trusted dealmaker in the real estate industry, Greg has played a critical part in some of the biggest property transactions in the Midwest. His legal insights and multifaceted understanding of real estate markets were decisive in these signature developments:
· A new $420 million ballpark for the St. Louis Cardinals.
· A 550-acre industrial development project near the St. Louis airport.
· The $260 million overhaul of West County Center, a major indoor mall in the St. Louis area.
A member of the Real Estate, Development & Construction team, Greg counsels public and private clients in all facets of real estate transactions, with particular emphasis on public/private partnerships. He has been active in identifying and structuring public incentives for corporate relocations, commercial real estate developments and significant public infrastructure projects. He has represented both private and public parties in some of the most significant tax increment financing (TIF) projects in the St. Louis region. He is consistently recognized as one of the top lawyers in his field by numerous national publications.
Greg is Chief Executive Officer and Managing Partner of Husch Blackwell and responsible for the daily operation of the firm. He also is a member of the firm's Executive and Partner Boards.
Awards & Recognitions
· The Best Lawyers In America, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law, 2007-2014; St. Louis Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2011
· Chambers USA, Real Estate Law, 2010-2013
· Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2005-2012
Professional Associations & Memberships
· The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
· Home Builders Assocation of St. Louis and Eastern St. Louis
· The Missouri Bar
· Regional Business Council, Executive Committee
· St. Louis Regional Chamber and Growth Association, Board of Directors, 2010-present
· Represented Express Scripts Inc. in the planning, acquisition and development of 300,000-square-foot headquarters on the campus of the University of Missouri-St. Louis - the first Fortune 100 company to locate on a university campus. Express Scripts has expanded to three more buildings.
· Advised the City of St. Louis in the legal structuring and public financing of the new $420 million ballpark for the St. Louis Cardinals and the multimillion-dollar Ballpark Village project, which broke ground in 2013.
· Represented St. Louis County with financing and redevelopment of the 550-acre NorthPark industrial development adjacent to Lambert-St. Louis International Airport. Negotiations encompassed four cities, the State of Missouri and private developers, resulting in formation of a collaborative public and private redevelopment entity.
· Advised Westfield Corp. in redevelopment of West County Center, a $260 million project that included demolition and reconstruction of the old mall and the addition of three anchor structures, along with approximately 1 million square feet of retail shop area, in Des Peres, Mo.
· Represented MasterCard Inc. in development, construction and financing of $170 million, 500,000-square-foot Global Technology and Operations Center in O'Fallon, Mo. Project involved coordination among state, county and city officials in order to secure public assistance.
· Represented Peabody Energy Corp. as it selected a new corporate headquarters in downtown St. Louis. Guided company with package of public financing vehicles, including a 10-year personal property tax exemption and a sales tax exemption on construction materials. Project involved 250,000 square feet of leased space and construction improvements of $20 million.
· Advised a developer in all facets of a 356,000-square-foot regional power center anchored by a national retailer and assisted by $50 million in tax increment financing.
· Counsel for expansion and reconstruction of leased space for corporate headquarters of Ralcorp Holdings Inc. Project involved 175,000 square feet of leased space, with costs of approximately $17 million.