Jack R. "Rob" Dodson III has practiced law since 1996, and focuses his practice on the construction and energy industries, serving as Special Counsel in the Adams and Reese Nashville office.
Rob is licensed in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi, and he regularly handles matters throughout the country for his clients. In addition to his primary practice areas, Rob also has significant experience in general commercial litigation. insurance and products liability litigation.
A member of the Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel, Rob advises general contractors, owners, and manufacturers regarding construction law issues at all levels and stages of the construction process. He has addressed large construction defect claims, as well as, bid protests and lien issues. Rob has completely revised the construction documentation for a number of his clients in order to better protect their interests during the construction process and avoid unnecessary conflict with the other parties.
In his oil and gas practice, Rob has represented exploration and production interests as well as manufacturers and suppliers. He represents the interests of oilfield manufacturing and service companies relating to the products supplied to the exploration and production industry, trying numerous civil lawsuits to jury verdict in the state and federal court systems. He has litigated claims of surface owners asserting environmental damage to the property and/or breach of mineral lease agreements.
Rob is also experienced in commercial litigation and products liability litigation. He has represented directors and officers of large corporations in stockholder derivative claims, as well as, disputes among the owners of small and closely held corporations.
He is admitted to practice in all state and district courts in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi, and also the United States Court of Appeals, Fifth and Eleventh circuits.
Rob's representative matters include:
· Represented a subcontractor in a construction claim against an international boiler manufacturer related to the construction of lignite coal power plant. After a one-week jury trial, the firm's client was awarded approximately $1 million representing the full value of its claim, plus interest.
· Successfully defended a manufacturer and seller of modular housing in a toxic mold case. After a 10-day jury trial the jury returned a verdict in favor of the defense on all claims asserted by the Plaintiffs.
· Represented the owner of a facility in Pennsylvania regarding disputes that arose during the close-out of the construction project. After extensive negotiations, Rob was able to craft a creative resolution of the issues which resulted in a favorable outcome for both the owner, the contractor and the subcontractor involved.
· Represented a healthcare company in a multi-million dollar product defect case involving the failure of the building envelope of a hospital in Oklahoma.
· Obtained early dismissals with prejudice of multiple clients in 19 asbestos lawsuits filed in Jefferson County, Alabama.
Rob is a member of the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, Defense Research Institute, Associated General Contractors, and Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel.
Rob earned his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Mississippi School of Law in 1996, where he was Associate Editor of the Mississippi Law Journal and a Moot Court Board Member. In 1993, he received his B.A. from University of Mississippi, where he was on the Beta Alpha Psi Chancellor's honor roll and Dean's list, and on the ASB Senator, ASB Government Operations Committee.
Rob was born and raised in the Mississippi Delta. Rob said spending his summers working on the farm instilled the strong work ethic which he applies today to his legal profession.
Having left the Delta, Rob now lives in Franklin, Tennessee. In his spare time, he enjoys golf, hunting and fishing.
Professional Memberships / Affiliations
American Bar Association
Tennessee Bar Association
Nashville Bar Association
Mississippi Bar Association
Hinds County Bar Association
Alabama Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Associated Builders' and Contractors
Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel
Associated General Contractors of Tennessee Regulatory and Government Committee