Jeff Barnes is a partner located in the Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. Jeff's practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate law, corporate finance, mining, project finance, corporate governance and securities law, with an emphasis on both advising on legal matters, managing the execution of complex legal projects to maximize value and meet objectives, including deadlines, and acting, when requested, as an experienced senior adviser. He has built his career acting for many of North America's major investment banks and multinational corporations, working on transactions across North and South America, Africa, Europe and Asia in cooperation with local law firms.
Jeff has periodically served on the board of directors of public companies which are clients.
· Advised 407 International on its successful bid to acquire 407 ETR for $3.5 billion and put in place interim and permanent financing.
· Advised Philip Morris International Inc. on its acquisition of Rothmans Inc. (approximately $2.2 billion).
· Advised Uramin Inc. on its acquisition by an entity owned by Areva and the spinout of Niger Uranium Limited ($2.5 billion).
· Advised the board of directors of Lionsgate Entertainment Corp. on its ongoing disputes with Carl Icahn-controlled entities.
· Advised the Special Committee of MI Developments in connection with Magna Entertainment Corporation, a proposed insider bid and a proposed restructuring.
· Advised Phelps Dodge on its $56-billion offer for Inco and Falconbridge.
· Advised the Special Committee of Economical Insurance with respect to demutualization matters.
· Advised the underwriters to Canadian National Railway Company on its $2.2-billion cross-border initial public offering.
Publications & Presentations
· Frequent lecturer in continuing education programs across Canada and the United States on securities, governance, crisis management, ethics and law firm management.
· Speaker, "More than Six feet Under," Panel presentation to the Section of International Law, American Bar Association (ABA), October 2012.
· Speaker, "M&A Skills Course: Doing the Cross-Border Deal," September 2012.
· Speaker, "Anatomy of an M&A Deal: Due Diligence," ABA teleconference, September 2012.
· Speaker, "Venture Capital Financing" April 2012.
· Speaker, "Board and CEO Assessment - Risk Management," April 2012.
· Speaker, "Professionalism and Practice Management," Law Society of Upper Canada, April 2012.
· Speaker, "Regulatory Responses in the Securities World post Global Financial Crisis," International Bar Association, Dubai, November 2011.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Recognized as a leading infrastructure lawyer in the 2013 Lexpert® Special Edition on Infrastructure.
· Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities Law).
· Recognized in the 2013 editions of Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Corporate/M&A), The Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions) and the Lexpert® Special Edition on the Leading Corporate Lawyers.
· Recognized in the 2013 editions of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions) and The Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada
· Recognized in the 2012 edition of the Lexpert® Special Edition on Infrastructure - Canada's Leading Infrastructure Lawyers.
· Recognized in the 2011 and 2012 edition of Who's Who Legal: Canada (Capital Markets, Corporate Governance).
· Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Past Member, Securities Advisory Committee to the Ontario Securities Commission, and Senior Legal Advisor to the Chair of the Ontario Securities Commission
· Member, American Bar Association, Section of International Law; Vice-Chair, Mergers and Joint Ventures Committee (2012); Vice Chair, International Energy and Natural Resources Committee (2012) Past Chair, Canada Committee (2012)
· Recipient, Diamond Service Award (2008) and Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal (2002)
· Member, Governance Committee, Easter Seals Canada (2009-present); Board Member (2008-09)
· Chair, Toronto's Tribute, 2004-07
· Chair and Board Member, Easter Seals Ontario, 2000-09
· Member, Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Task Force, 1999-2000
· Governor, Crescent School, 1993-99