Jeffrey Mann has more than 35 years of experience as a litigator of trials and appeals and as an advocate in domestic and international arbitration and in the mediation of complex corporate and securities matters representing multinational, U.S., Asian, and European corporations. He has tried approximately 100 jury and non-jury cases and approximately 100 U.S. domestic and international arbitrations. Jeff has participated in international arbitrations involving disputes in India (software development), Korea (international financial fraud), Ukraine (supply agreements), Russia (breach of contract) and Austria (international banking), among others.
Areas of Concentration
· Complex commercial litigation, including mergers and acquisitions, trade secrets and unfair competition
· International and domestic arbitration and mediation of complex business disputes
· Securities litigation, including Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and internal investigations and contests for control
Significant U.S. Domestic & International Industry Representations
· Steel Manufacture & Distribution
· Chemical Manufacturing
· Hospitality, Hotels & Resorts
· Beverages, Distillers & Distributors
· Retail Chains
Professional & Community Involvement
· Federal Mediator, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
· Member, Committee on Litigation, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
· Member, Committee on Alternate Dispute Resolution, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
· Panel Member, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, New York Bar Association
· Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2009-2013
· Team Member, Law360 "Employment Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented large Russian steel manufacturer in litigation concerning its acquisition of a U.S. based steel mill and in separate international arbitration against a large Brazilian steel manufacturer in disputes concerning supply contracts.
· Represented an Australian mining company in litigation against a large U.S. chemical company regarding alleged breaches of multiyear mineral supply agreements.
· Represented U.S. investors in preferred stock of a corporation owning a fifty percent equity interest in an internet payment company located in the People's Republic of China adversely affected by changes in Chinese banking regulations prohibiting foreign ownership of such companies.
· Represented investment banks in connection with their fairness opinions issued in connection with merger and acquisition transactions.
· Represented a publicly traded technology company in a proxy contest initiated by insurgent minority stockholders.
· Represented a multinational pharmaceutical company in insurance coverage dispute arising from product liability claims.
· Represented large South Asian computer software developer in international arbitration in defense of claims of breach of outsourced offshore software development contract by U.S. based start-up company.
· Represented one of Korea's 50 largest corporations as plaintiff in complex international arbitration of Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO), fraud and breach of contact claims, in which $8 million in damages, plus attorneys' fees and expenses were awarded.
· Represented European based holding company in disputes relating to acquisition and sale of large European oil company.
· Represented preferred stockholders in litigation against controlling stockholders to protect minorities rights.
· Represented publicly traded retail store chain in proxy contest for control of company.
· Represented consumer products company in claims for rescission and damages by acquirer of divested subsidiary arising from allegedly false financial statements.
· Represented publicly traded biotech company in litigation concerning a failed merger with another similar company arising from claims of breach of the merger agreement.
· Represented consumer products company in claims that sellers of an acquired entity intentionally breached representations and warranties in the purchase agreement.
· Represented independent directors of biotechnology research company in connection with litigation arising from a leveraged buyout of a competitor.
· Represented multinational conglomerate in merger and acquisition and tender offer litigation.
· Represented large public transportation authority in complex insurance coverage litigation.
· Represented large public holding company in dissenters' rights appraisal cases.
· Represented multinational company against criminal and civil price fixing and other antitrust claims.
· Represented numerous public companies in investigations by SEC and Justice Department into claims of civil and criminal violations of the securities laws and in defense of class and derivative claims.
· Represented real estate developers, owners and operators in construction and delay claim disputes, including a $75 million claim of delay against the U.S. General Securities Administration.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Liability and Damages Issues in the Interpretation of Material Adverse Change/Material Adverse Effect Clauses," Andrews Securities Litigation and Regulation Reporter, July 2001
· Editor, Employment Law In New York, Matthew Bender, 1996
· Frequent lecturer on litigation and international and U.S. domestic alternate dispute resolution issues in corporate, securities and employment law including those involving RICO, enforceability of material adverse change provisions in corporate acquisition agreements, covenants not to compete and non-disclosure and non-solicitation agreements
· Featured speaker and panelist Dispute Resolution Seminar, "How to Resolve International Commercial Disputes," Beijing, China, March 2007
· Chair, U.S.A. ADR Workshop, Asia Pacific Dispute Resolution Summit, Singapore, June 2006
· Speaker, "Arbitration as an Effective Tool to Resolve International Commercial Disputes," Seoul, Korea, October 2003