Joel served as the firm's Section Coordinator for the Real Estate Practice from 1984 to 1994. His practice primarily involves the representation of corporate users in retail and other commercial areas (R&D/lab facilities, office buildings, and health care facilities).
Joel serves as national outside real estate counsel to CVS in its real estate acquisition, development, and financing program. He is also active on behalf of corporate users in the structuring and negotiation of significant commercial leases, including over 2 million square feet of biotechnology lab space. He has represented CVS in more than 40 sale/leaseback transactions. Those transactions involved more than 2, 300 retail properties in over 35 states, having an aggregate value in excess of $10 billion.
Joel has direct experience in the roles of real estate owner/developer/tenant, both as Chair of the firm's Office Space Committee in negotiating, planning, and constructing 350, 000 square feet of first-class office space, and as chairman of the committee which built his synagogue, and subsequently its school, in Wellesley, Massachusetts.
In recent years, his practice has concentrated on the development, construction, and financing of retail facilities, which reflects his long-standing representation of the firm's large corporate clients in their real estate development and leasing activities around the United States.
Recognitions & Awards
•Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Real Estate (2004 - 2005, 2008 - 2014)
•Best Lawyers in America: Real Estate Law (2016)
•Phi Beta Kappa
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2016 Edition, (08.17.2015)
• Eighty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.17.2014)
• Seventy-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.21.2013)
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.22.2012)
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.21.2011)
• Forty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.19.2010)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.27.2009)
• Forty-Six Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.29.2008)