John R. Dodd is experienced handling transactions and litigations that arise in business reorganizations, liquidations, distressed asset acquisition and sales, financial restructurings, and loan workouts.
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Bankruptcy Bar Association of the Southern District of Florida, 2008-Present
· Graduate, Leadership Miami, 2012-2013
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2013
· Team Member, a U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Law Firm of the Year" in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2013
· Represented BankUnited Financial Corporation and affiliates in Chapter 11 cases and related litigation (S.D.Fla.).
· Represented lender on a $70 million preferred ship mortgage with respect to the Chapter 7 bankruptcy of the borrowers, the arrest of the vessels in admiralty and related litigation under the WARN Act.
· Represented Indenture Trustee with respect to bond indebtedness in excess of $71 million, with respect to the Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of a developer holding in excess of 120 acres of land in Miami, financed by community development district bonds to fund the infrastructure improvements.
· Represented Indenture Trustee with respect to 11 bond issuances, with aggregate bond indebtedness in excess of $106 million, with respect to Chapter 11 bankruptcy of a master planned residential community comprised of nearly 4,000 zoned acres of land in Naples, Florida, financed by community development district bonds to fund the infrastructure improvements
· Represented Time Warner, Inc. and TMZ.com with respect to legal actions brought by Trustee for Lorraine Brooke Associates, Inc. estate (a corporation established and operated by O.J. Simpson and family) in connection with the alleged publication of manuscript of O.J. Simpson book If I Did It? (S.D. Fla.).
· Represented group of aircraft purchasers in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of a jet aircraft manufacturer.
· Represented group of off-track betting facilities in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of a national owner and operator of horse racetracks.
· Represented lender on a $119 million mortgage loan with respect to the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of the borrowers, owners of a hotel, two condominium projects, tax credits and some land, in San Juan, P.R.
· Law Clerk, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida, Hon. Robert A. Mark, August 2006-August 2008
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publication s
· Co-Author, "6th Circ. Reinvigorates Stern V. Marshall Debate," Law360, November 26, 2012
· Co-Author, " Perkins v. Haines: Eleventh Circuit Protects Return-of-Principal Transfers," ABI Committee News, Commercial Fraud Committee, April 2012