John Gerdes was born in Kansas City, Kansas, on February 27, 1960. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Benedictine College in 1982 and his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Washburn University in 1990. He went on to earn his Master of Laws Degree in Taxation from the University of Florida in 1991. He joined Fleeson, Gooing, Coulson & Kitch, L.L.C., in 1991 and currently serves on the firm's Executive Committee.
In addition to the local state and federal courts, Mr. Gerdes is admitted to practice before the U.S. Tax Court and U.S. Court of Federal Claims. He is a member of the Wichita, Kansas and Missouri Bar Associations and is a member of the executive committee of the KBA's Tax Law Section. Mr. Gerdes is listed in the Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Tax Law, Litigation & Controversy - Tax, and Trusts and Estates. He has also been listed in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers in the area of Tax.
Mr. Gerdes practices primarily in the areas of taxation, partnerships, corporations, business law and estate planning and has made numerous presentations before civic and professional groups regarding taxation and business matters. Among the specific areas in which Mr. Gerdes has represented clients are:
· Disputes involving income, estate, gift, sales, use and ad valorem tax issues at the audit, appeal and litigation levels;
· Sales and purchases of business including asset and stock transactions;
· Formation of entities including corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and non-profit entities;
· Employee compensation arrangements;
· Licensing, franchising and distributorship arrangements.