Ms. Reno's practice spans all aspects of employee benefits. Her primary emphasis is on health and welfare plans, including ERISA, COBRA and HIPAA issues. Currently, she spends much of her time advising employers, insurers and third-party administrators concerning compliance and planning opportunities under the new health care reform law. She also consults with clients concerning the mental health parity rules and the regulation of cafeteria plans. In the retirement plan arena, Ms. Reno has considerable experience restating plans, applying for determination letters, reviewing domestic relations orders and drafting submissions to voluntary correction programs.
A recovering litigator, Ms. Reno is no longer in the courtroom regularly, but continues to advise clients on a wide range of benefits-related litigation, including disputed cutbacks to retiree health benefits, alleged prohibited transactions and breaches of fiduciary duty, and claims for benefits under ERISA and nonERISA plans.
Through her experience in both benefits and litigation, Ms. Reno has developed a related specialization in the area of government contracting. She has represented clients being audited by the OFCCP, negotiating conciliation agreements in diverse industries across the country. Happily, she also has provided advice to contractors not under investigation-advice concerning OFCCP jurisdictional questions, as well as contractors' requirements with regard to affirmative action, wages and benefits, including contracts under the Service Contract Act and the Davis-Bacon Act.
• For a Fortune 200 company, providing advice concerning its health and welfare plans, cafeteria plan, defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans and nonqualified deferred compensation plans.
• For the AmeriCorps program, providing analysis and advice concerning the impact of health care reform on AmeriCorps grantees and members.
• For a national retail pharmacy, providing advice concerning the arrangement between the pharmacy and the prescription drug plan offered to the pharmacy's own employees.
• For a national vision insurer and third-party administrator, providing ongoing representation for all manner of ERISA and HIPAA issues, including participating in new product development, drafting a model administrative services agreement, training in-house legal and sales staff, and preparing extensive analyses of excepted benefits under health care reform.
• For governmental entities, assisting in the establishment and operation of self-funded health care plans, including the preparation and review of trust documents, plan documents, ordinances and service provider agreements.
• For various covered entities, defending HIPAA privacy and security complaints filed with the Office of Civil Rights (Department of Health and Human Services).
• For a national beef processing company, negotiated a $1.65 million conciliation agreement with the OFCCP.
• For the Creighton University School of Law, taught an upper-level course in employee benefits as an adjunct professor.
• Employee Benefit Plans 2013
• American Conference Institute (New York, NY)
• A Lawyer's View of Trial Consulting, Handbook of Trial Consulting (Richard L. Wiener and Brian H. Bornstein, eds. 2011).
• HIPAA's Privacy & Security Rules & Their Effect on Local Governments, IMLA: The Magazine of the International Municipal Lawyers Association (2005).
April 10, 2014 Wounded Warrior Project Values Employees
Kutak Rock attorneys advise the Wounded Warrior Project leadership team on cost-effective solutions for the nonprofit's rapidly growing employee population.
September 25, 2013 Juliana Reno Guest Panelist on PBS Newshour
Juliana Reno, an employee benefits attorney in the Omaha office of Kutak Rock LLP, appeared on the PBS Newshour on Monday, September 23.
April 25, 2013 DOL Guidance on Target Date Funds
April 2, 2013 New DOL Guidance Impacting Defined Benefit Plans
March 28, 2013 HIPAA Breach Allegation Successfully Resolved
Several attorneys from Kutak Rock's Omaha office helped an insurance agency resolve allegations involving personal health information and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) security standards.
March 7, 2013 Deadline To Pay Last Year's Compensation
February 20, 2013 HIPAA's Final Rule: The Impact on Covered Entities, Business Associates and Subcontractors
On January 25, 2013, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) published its final privacy and security regulations (the Final Rule) under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
January 24, 2013 Employers Preparing to Comply With Health Care Reform Representatives from more than 100 employers attended a seminar at Kutak Rock's Omaha office on January 23, 2013. They gathered to learn more about what their companies need to do to comply with the Affordable Care Act (the Act), which significantly changes the way employers may offer health insurance starting January 1, 2014.
May 15, 2012 Kutak Rock Named 2012 Go-To IP Law Firm by Fortune 500 Health Care Client Fortune 500 Health Care client names Kutak Rock its Go-To Intellectual Property Law Firm.
March 16, 2012 Kraft Foods Settles ERISA Fiduciary Suit for $9.5M
After five years of drawn-out litigation, the ERISA class action lawsuit, George v. Kraft Foods Global, Inc., recently settled for a total of $9.5 million.
August 15, 2014 Defined Benefit Plan Sponsors Must Take Immediate Action Last Friday, the President signed the Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2014 (HATFA) into law. HATFA extends the interest rate smoothing provisions applicable to defined benefit pension plans that were originally found in the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act of 2012 (MAP 21). HATFA requires non-governmental sponsors of single- and multiple-employer defined benefit pension plans to take immediate action.
July 31, 2014 IRS Provides Additional Information on 409A Audit Initiative; Other 409A Matters In May, the IRS announced that it had launched an audit initiative to gauge compliance with the rules for nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements under Internal Revenue Code Section 409A. Yesterday, we participated in a national conference with the IRS where IRS agents provided their unofficial opinions regarding the focus and applicability of the Initiative as well as other relevant matters under Code Section 409A. To learn what we learned, please read our client alert.
July 1, 2014 Supreme Court Limits Reach of Contraceptive Mandate
On June 30, 2014, the Supreme Court ruled that under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, closely-held for-profit corporations are not required to pay for contraceptives if doing so would violate the corporation's sincerely held religious beliefs. For more information on the major parts of the decision and its impact on employers, please read our client alert.
June 26, 2014 Supreme Court Holds There Is No Presumption of Prudence On June 25, 2014, the U.S. Supreme Court issued its long-awaited ruling in Fifth Third Bancorp v. Dudenhoeffer, a case involving an ESOP fiduciary's duties in deciding to sell or hold employer stock in an ESOP.
June 20, 2014 Reports to Congress Highlight Importance of Proactive HIPAA Compliance
April 10, 2014 Windsor Amendments Required Before Year End For Some Retirement Plans
March 25, 2014 Supreme Court Holds Severance Payments Are Generally Subject to FICA; SUB Payments Are Not
February 28, 2014 Tax Reform Proposal Has Significant Impact on Employee Benefit Plans
February 20, 2014 Health Care Reform: Final Regulations on Employer Shared Responsibility Provisions-Transitional Relief
Last week the Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department issued Final Regulations relating to the Employer Shared Responsibility provisions of the Affordable Care Act. The Employer Shared Responsibility provisions require applicable large employers to provide health care benefits to full-time employees or risk paying substantial penalties.
January 7, 2014 Employee Benefits Newsletter - Winter 2013
January 23, 2013 Health Care Reform Seminar - Preparing for 2014
November 8, 2012 Employment Law CLE 2012
November 17, 2011 Employment Law CLE 2011
June 17, 2011 Intellectual Property CLE
April 8, 2011 Intellectual Property CLE