Kevin Keyes is a partner in our Commercial Real Estate group in Calgary. Kevin's practice has an emphasis in the area of real estate development and financing. He has advised clients with respect to land assembly, annexation, purchase, subdivision, re-zoning, development approvals, financing, leasing, management and sale of commercial and institutional projects, as well as public/private sector initiatives.
Kevin often advises clients making strategic business decisions, and is routinely involved in the negotiation and preparation of complex commercial agreements and security documentation. His practice includes facilitating regulatory and bylaw approvals and compliance, and he has had extensive dealings with Calgary City Council, Calgary Planning Commission, Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeal Board and similar administrative bodies in other municipalities.
In addition to his legal background, Kevin has considerable business experience, having previously worked as a project supervisor in a construction company, and as a financial analyst and credit officer in his early career.
Publications & Presentations
· Speaker, "Due Diligence", Commercial Real Estate Transactions Seminar, Legal Education Society of Alberta, 2013.
· Panelist, "How to Understand the Deal", Calgary Real Estate Leasing Conference, Informa Canada, 2013.
· Panelist, "Negotiating in Today's Market", Calgary Real Estate Leasing Conference, MMPI Canada Inc., 2012.
· Moderator, "Mastering Lease Negotiation in Today's Changing Market", Calgary Real Estate Leasing Conference, MMPI Canada Inc., 2011.
· Moderator, "Understanding Landlord's and Tenant's Rights in Today's Market", Calgary Real Estate Leasing Conference, Mmart Canada Inc., 2010.
· Author, "Municipal Approvals", Real Estate Development from Beginning to End, Lorman Education Services, 2006, 2008.
· Author, "Energy and Infrastructure Development in Canada", Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Conference, Los Angeles, 2007.
· Chair and Author, "Easements, Covenants and similar Rights in Alberta", Lorman Education Services, 2005.
· Represented Cenovus Energy (as anchor tenant) in negotiating a new development project lease of 1,000,000 sq. ft. of office space in Brookfield Place Calgary.
· Acted for The Bank of Nova Scotia in its sale of 50% of Scotia Centre Calgary to Homburg Canada REIT for $116,000,000, and the negotiation of co-ownership agreements and anchor tenant leases, and in its sale of 50% of Scotia Centre Calgary to CANMARC REIT for $140,000,000, and the negotiation of property management agreements.
· Advises Parkbridge Lifestyle Communities Inc. in respect of its Canadian operations, and represented them in the acquisition and financing of more than 60 manufactured home communities, retirement villages, recreational parks and marinas with an aggregate value in excess of $500,000,000.
· Acted for CDPQ Mortgage Corporation in the $600,000,000 financing of Bankers Hall, Fifth Avenue Place, Royal Bank Building and Bankers Court in Calgary.
· Represents Ivanhoé Cambridge in respect of joint venture and development matters involving Eighth Avenue Place, Calgary.
· Acted for Discovery Ridge Development Corporation in respect of the annexation, rezoning, financing, development and sale of a new community for 1,650 homes.
· Represented Kanata Developments in the purchase of 5 self-storage operations in Alberta and BC.
· Represented the owners of a number of major Calgary office developments involving development, leasing and financing, including Bankers Hall, Gulf Canada Square, Barclay Centre, Nova/TCPL Tower, Western Canadian Place and Watermark Tower.
· Acted for MIG Real Estate in their acquisition of an Edmonton select service Marriott Hotel
· Represented Bramalea/Trilea in the financing and sale of Southcentre Mall, Crowfoot Centre, and Marlborough Mall.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Recognized in Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Property Development) (all editions since 2011).
· Recognized in Euromoney Guide to the World's Leading Real Estate Lawyers (all editions since 2008).
· Martindale- Hubbel® Peer Review RatingTM of Preeminent AVTM.
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Member, Law Society of Alberta
· Member, Calgary Bar Association
· Member, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
· Youth leader, Boy Scouts of Canada.
· Local volunteer, Annual Food Drive, Calgary Food Bank.
· Fund raiser, United Way Calgary.