Practice/Industry Group Overview
Lane Powell’s White Collar Criminal Defense and Regulatory Compliance attorneys represent individuals and corporations in a broad range of state and federal criminal proceedings and governmental investigations. Specialties include:
- White collar criminal investigations and trials.
- Internal audits and investigations triggered by regulatory enforcement actions.
- Compliance programs implemented in accordance with agency regulations.
- When necessary, federal sentencing guidelines.
Lane Powell attorneys involved in this area of practice appear before courts and agencies throughout the country, in every context, at every stage. They regularly represent witnesses, subjects and targets of investigations and prosecutions in actions such as:
- Tax evasion
- Computer crime
- Money laundering
- Bank and bankruptcy fraud
- Unfair trade practices
- Securities fraud
- Mail and wire fraud
Effective white collar criminal defense requires collaboration with specialists in many other fields, and a proven Lane Powell strength is the Firm’s ability to draw from its related expertise in taxation, immigration, health care and civil litigation.
On the compliance side, Lane Powell attorneys often lead – in response to government action or corporate requests – internal investigations, fraud audits, background investigations and forensic analyses.
- A major manufacturer in connection with U.S. Department of Justice international price-fixing investigation.
- Numerous targets in offshore banking and tax-evasion investigations by the DOJ/IRS Criminal Investigation Division.
- The former international marketing director of a foreign currency exchange company.
- A large medical research center in connection with SEC and Department of Justice investigations.
- The chief engineer of an ocean-going vessel targeted in a water pollution investigation led by the EPA and U.S. Coast Guard.
- Numerous nursing homes, home health agencies and other health care providers accused of health care fraud, as well as ensuring their ongoing regulatory compliance with Medicare and Medicaid laws.
- A real estate appraiser and loan officer in connection with a large-scale fraud prosecution, resulting in non-prosecution agreements.
- A target of an antitrust investigation alleging an international trading cartel originating in China.
- A target of an Internet fraud investigation initiated by the SEC and FTC.
- A pension fund investment advisor prosecuted for mail, wire and ERISA fraud.
- An assisted-living facility developer charged with multiple federal health care fraud charges.
Lane Powell’s Special Investigations attorneys provide legal services to insurance carriers and self-insureds involved in special investigations of suspicious insurance claims. They work with clients from consultation about suspicious claims to the prosecution of fraudulent claims and analysis of bad-faith allegations by claimants.
Areas of expertise include:
- Commercial fraud
- Auto theft and auto shop fraud
- Staged accidents
- Exaggerated bodily injury claims
- Suspicious or inflated property losses
Lane Powell attorneys are recognized for their experience in fraud investigations, as well as for their familiarity with and access to investigators experienced in arson, auto theft and all facets of commercial fraud. The Firm’s special investigations group includes former attorneys for the Justice Department and former deputy county prosecutors with extensive experience in fraud and RICO prosecution and insurance coverage analysis.
Lane Powell has one of the strongest litigation departments in the Northwest. In the fraud area, this extends from commercial fraud and suspicious or inflated property losses to auto theft, auto shop fraud and staged accidents. At any given time, the Firm is handling a number of cases involving fire loss that may involve arson issues.