Lawrence ("Larry") Freedman is a partner in the Firm's Business Law Department. He specializes in telecommunications law.
Larry has practiced law for over twenty years. Substantial experience with issues under the Telecommunications Act of 1996 as a result of cutting edge work on behalf of competitive telecommunications companies around the US and the world highlights his legal background. Larry's telecommunications practice focuses on serving clients in transactions, as well as regulatory and dispute resolution matters before state public regulatory commissions, the Federal Communications Commission, and other arenas, and in many respects as a "strategic quarterback" for parties in the competitive telecommunications area who require the development and implementation of a legal and regulatory strategy. He particularly focuses on the issues between competitive and incumbent local exchange carriers, including interconnection obligations and agreements.
Larry has advised telecommunications clients on the development and implementation of a "cloud computing" strategy. He currently leads the Firm's Cloud Computing group.
He has also developed and led a second core practice area, specializing in issues relating to "wired communities" and the nexus between telecommunications and real estate and community development. This turned into one of the country's pioneering law practices focused in these areas, including, innovative transactions to facilitate fiber to the home.
Developed original, innovative, and sophisticated approach for fiber-to-the-home "wired community" contract transactions, which, among other things:
· Resulted in first major project, Lansdowne on the Potomac, won the "High Tech Project of the Year" Award from Northern Virginia Homebuilders Association; and
· Resulted in prevailing in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia challenge from major cable television company in a seminal decision regarding property owner's rights in the telecommunications area
· Selected as general counsel to industry trade group known as "FOCUS" (Fiber Optic Communities in the United States)
Handled scores of transactions of all sizes and complexities:
· Led practice representing competitive telecommunications carriers, including significant and favorable victories and settlements in major interconnection contract arbitration proceedings
Hands on working attorney experience leading and working on teams in:
· Contractual negotiations (including with wide range of companies and individuals such as multi-billion dollar international telecommunications and technology providers and vendors, developers, and others)
· Litigation and arbitration (including trial and appeal work in public utility commissions, state and federal courts, and as lead counsel in First and Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals cases, as well as numerous private/ AAA arbitrations and administrative hearings and arbitrations)
· Regulatory advocacy (including at the Federal Communications Commission, numerous state public utility commissions, and others)
· Commercial and business litigation and transactions, including in the areas of bankruptcy, real estate, and general commercial matters.
· Alternative dispute resolution matters including mediation and arbitration.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
Mr. Freedman has regularly been asked to speak telecommunications issues, involving telecommunications generally and wired community matters, including the following:
· "Cloud Computing: Exploring the Opportunities and Overcoming the Challenges," speaker, COMPTEL PLUS Spring 2012 Convention & EXPO, San Francisco, April 15-18, 2012.
· "FCC USF/ICC Reform Order Summary," presenter, Metaswitch Networks, San Francisco, January 19, 2012
· "Universal Service and Intercarrier Compensation Reform," TeleBriefing sponsored by Law Seminars International, presenter and moderator, November 9, 2011.
· "Key Telecommunications Regulatory Issues," presenter, Metaswitch Forum, Las Vegas, October 3, 2011
· "Fiber to the Home: Structuring Partnerships for Success (Public and Private)," presenter, Fiber to the Home Conference, Orlando, September 28, 2011
· "The Calm Before the Storm? Preparing Marketing Strategies in Changing Regulatory Times," presenter, online webinar in the "Metaswitch Communities" program, August 23, 2011.
· "A Public/Private Partnership Approach to FTTH," speaker, Fiber to the Home Conference, St. Louis, Missouri, June 8, 2011.
· "Implications of the AT&T / T-Mobile Merger," TeleBriefing sponsored by Law Seminars International, moderator, April 21, 2011.
· Telephone Association of New England, Saratoga Springs, New York, "Federal Regulatory Issues," February 2011.
· Metaswitch Forum, Orlando, September 2010, "Regulatory Outlook."
· Fiber to the Home Conference, Las Vegas, September 2010, presenter on "Transactional and Regulatory Strategies for Structuring Wired Broadband Community Arrangements."
· RealComm Conference, Las Vegas, June, 2010, "Building Telecom and Wireless Infrastructure - The New Competitive Benchmark."
· Broadband Properties Summit, Dallas, April, 2009, speaker on "Wired Communities - Existing Communities Opportunities."
· COMPTEL (Competitive Telecommunications Association), speaker on "Interconnection as a Strategic Advantage," Dallas, March 2009.
· "Wired Communities Transactions" presentations at the National Fiber to the Home Conferences in New Orleans, and subsequently Orlando, in 2002, 2003, and 2004, and 2005, and to the FTTH Conferences in Las Vegas in 2006 and Orlando in 2007, and to the FTTH conference in Nashville in 2008.
· Competitive Telecommunications Association Regulatory Workshop, Las Vegas, 2007.
· University of Texas Conference on Cable, Telecommunications, and Wireless, Austin, 2007, "Telecommunications in Real Estate."
· Continental Building Associations Connected at Home conferences in Toronto, and, San Diego, 2006.
· "Broadband Properties" conferences in Dallas, Texas, 2004 and 2005.
· "Telecommunications and Real Estate" program in Atlanta, Georgia, 2005.
· "Digital City" conference in the Washington, DC area, 2005.
· Optical Broadband Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, 2005.
· Optical Society of America in Anaheim, California, 2005.
· "Telecommunications in Real Estate" law seminar, 2005.
· OSP Outside Plant Exposition in Atlanta, Georgia, 2004.
· "Municipal Broadband" conference presentations in San Francisco, California, and Seattle, Washington, 2002.
· "Computer Law Association" Conferences, San Jose, California, 2000, 2001, and 2002.
· "Wired Communities" presentations at the "Telecom Policy Summit" in Washington DC, 2001.
· "Developing Spectrum Approaches as Part of an Overall Broadband Services Strategy," chaired panel session at the national conference on "Spectrum Management, Alexandria, Virginia, 2001.
· "Telecommunications Regulatory Issues -- Strategies and Opportunities in Deploying a Market Rollout," in Tysons Corner, Virginia, 1999.
· "Delivering Broadband Services -- Strategies for Multimedia, Bandwidth on Demand and Internet Services," Denver, Colorado, 1999.
· "Unbundling the Local Loop," Chicago, Illinois, 1999; Washington, DC, 2000.
· "Line Sharing Seminar," Washington, D.C.
· "Telecommunications in the Southwest," Phoenix, Arizona.
· "Selling and Trading Telecoms Capacity," San Francisco, California.
· "Internet Telephony," San Diego, 1998.
· "Communications Law in the New Millennium," appearance at the American University Law School Founders Day Celebration April 1999.
Publications and articles include:
· "WorldNet 'Cloud Direct' Promises Lower Expenses, Higher Productivity," quoted, San Juan Star, April 2013.
· "WorldNet busca optimizar computación en la Nube," quoted, Empresarios, March 3, 2013.
· "Cloud Computing Offers Telcos, Cable Companies a Path Forward, Attorney Argues," quoted, Boston Business Journal, March 27, 2012.
· "New FCC Telemarketing Rules," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, February 2012.
· "FCC Clarifies Long Distance Service Quality Requirements in Rural Areas and High-Cost Areas," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, February 2012.
· "FCC Enacts Comprehensive Reform of Lifeline Program for Low-Income Telecommunications Consumers," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, February 2012.
· "Annual Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) Certifications for 2012 Filing Deadline is March 1, 2012," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, February 2012.
· "USF/ICC Clarifications," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, February 2012.
· "Verizon Announces Joint Venture Agreement with Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, December 2011.
· "Take Heed: Facebook and Google Buzz's Privacy Settlements With FTC Reinforce Need to Audit Privacy Practices and Revisit Statements and Policies," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, December 2011.
· "FCC Dismisses AT&T Inc. and Deutsche Telekom AG Application for Consent to Assign or Transfer Control of Licenses and Authorizations," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, November 2011.
· "Senate Votes to Retain Net Neutrality Regulations," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, November 2011.
· "FCC Adopts Much Anticipated Universal Service and Intercarrier Compensation Reform Rules," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, October 2011.
· "FCC Establishes New Rules for Enabling Access to Advanced Communications Services by Persons with Disabilities," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, October 2011.
· "Controversial Net Neutrality Rules Set to Go Into Effect on November 20," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, October 2011.
· "FCC Chairman Issues Preview of USF-ICC Order," co-author, an Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, October 2011.
· "FCC Proposes Network Outage Reporting for Interconnected VoIP and Broadband Internet Service Providers," co-author, an EAPD Client Advisory, May 2011.
· "FCC Establishes Pleading Cycle for AT&T/T-Mobile Merger," co-author, an EAPD Client Advisory, May 2011.
· "Michigan Bell Interconnection Cases," co-author, an EAPD Client Advisory, April 2011.
· "DOJ and FCC Will Closely Scrutinize Proposed Merger of AT&T and T-Mobile," quoted, Law360, March 22, 2011.
· "Universal Service and Intercarrier Compensation Reform Comment Deadlines Established," co-author, an EAPD Client Advisory, March 2011.
· "FCC Proposes Overhaul of the Universal Service Fund and Intercarrier Compensation," co-author, an EAPD Client Advisory, February 2011.
· "Doing the Greenfield Deal: What Developers and Broadband Suppliers Need to Know," Broadband Properties magazine, September 2005.
· "Evolving Legal Strategies for an Evolving Industry," chapter in the May 2005 published legal book, "Inside the Minds -- Winning Legal Strategies for Telecom Companies."
· "Wiring the Future - The New Trend in Master Planned Communities," a four-part series of interviews and articles with Mr. Freedman, appeared in the October 2001 and January 2002 issues of Builder and Architect magazine.
· "Negotiating Competition," scholarly article published in the Administrative Law Journal of the American Bar Association and American University Law School in September 2000.
· "Dialing for Tenants -- New Entrants Seek Access to Multiple Dwelling Units," published in Legal Times (Telecommunications Special Report) May 3, 1999.
· Inside Litigation (March 1997) (interviewed on telecommunications issues).
· "Telecommunications and Deregulating Industries: Creative Lawyering for a New Business Frontier," Spring, 1997 interview for Washington College of Law's Business Law Society, by whom he was also recognized as an "Alumni in the Spotlight."
· "Telecommunications Act's ADR Approach," Alternatives, November 1996.
News & Publications
April 2013, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Federal Appeals Court Rejects Exclusive Video Service Arrangement in Virginia Planned Housing Community
April 1, 2013, Edwards Wildman's Larry Freedman Comments on Benefits of Cloud Computing in The San Juan Star and Empresarios
February 7, 2013, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Circulates Order Which Considers Approving a Portion of US Telecom's Petition for Forbearance
February 6, 2013, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Seeks Comment on Request to Refresh Record and Amend Commission's Copper Retirement Rules
January 31, 2013, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Competitive Telecommunications Providers Respond to AT&T Petition to Retire Copper Loops in TDM-to-IP Transition
January 29, 2013, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Annual Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) Certifications Due from Telecommunications Providers and Interconnected VoIP Service Providers by March 1, 2013
January 17, 2013, Edwards Wildman's Larry Freedman and Tom Smedinghoff Author Articles in M/E Insights
January 15, 2013, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Announces Effort to Increase "Gigabit Wi-Fi" by Releasing Unlicensed Spectrum in the 5 GHz Band
January 11, 2013, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Issues Order Approving Liberty Media Corporation's Takeover of Sirius XM, Inc.
January 7, 2013, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Public Notice Concerning the Connect America Fund (CAF) and Unused CAF Phase I Funding
January 4, 2013, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Adopts Rules to Promote Deployment of Internet Services Onboard Aircraft
December 20, 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Special Access Order Commencing Reform: FCC Initiates Comprehensive Data Collection
December 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Adopts AWS Order and H Block Notice
December 17, 2012, Edwards Wildman's Larry Freedman Analyzes Possible Changes to Telecom Act in The Deal
December 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Creates Healthcare Connect Fund
December 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - D.C. Circuit Affirms FCC's Data Roaming Rule
November 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Solicits Comments on Truth in Billing
November 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Adopts Consent Decree for Self-Reported TDS CPNI Violations
November 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - CLECs Oppose Vonage Petition Seeking Direct Access to Numbering Resources
October 12, 2012, Edwards Wildman's Larry Freedman and Richard Davis Author Article on Communications Companies' Use of Cloud Computing in New Jersey Lawyer
September 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski Announces Proposed Incentive Auctions
September 2012, Edwards WIldman Client Advisory - FCC Streamlines Cable-CLEC Transaction Process
August 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Approves Verizon Wireless - SpectrumCo Deal
August 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - DOJ Conditionally Approves Verizon Spectrum and Joint Sales and Research Agreements with Cable Companies and T-Mobile
August 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Qwest Corp. v. FCC, et al., No. 10-9543 (10th Cir. Aug. 6, 2012)
August 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Order Clears Path For 700MHz Broadband Public Safety Network
July 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Vonage Meets With FCC To Discuss Open Internet Issues; Issues Raised Are Instructive for Network Operators
June 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Special Access Order Proposing Reform
June 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Public Notice regarding Price Cap Cost Model
May 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Issues Report and Order Requiring VoIP Service Providers to Provide Service Outage Data
May 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Seeks Comment on Universal Service Fund Reforms
April 2, 2012, Client Advisory - House Passes FCC "Reform" Legislation (HR 3309)
February 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - New FCC Telemarketing Rules
February 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Clarifies Long Distance Service Quality Requirements in Rural Areas and High-Cost Areas
February 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Enacts Comprehensive Reform of Lifeline Program for Low-Income Telecommunications Consumers
February 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Annual Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) Certifications for 2012 Filing Deadline is March 1, 2012
February 21, 2012, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - USF/ICC Clarifications
December 9, 2011, Client Advisory - Verizon Announces Joint Venture Agreement with Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks
December 2011, Client Advisory - Take Heed: Facebook and Google Buzz's Privacy Settlements With FTC Reinforce Need to Audit Privacy Practices and Revisit Statements and Policies
An Edwards Wildman Privacy & Data Protection Client Advisory
November 30, 2011, Client Advisory - FCC Dismisses AT&T Inc. and Deutsche Telekom AG Application for Consent to Assign or Transfer Control of Licenses and Authorizations
November 2011, Client Advisory - Senate Votes to Retain Net Neutrality Regulations
October 28, 2011, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Adopts Much Anticipated Universal Service and Intercarrier Compensation Reform Rules
October 13, 2011, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - FCC Establishes New Rules for Enabling Access to Advanced Communications Services by Persons with Disabilities
October 11, 2011, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory - Controversial Net Neutrality Rules Set to Go Into Effect on November 20
August 18, 2011, EAPD Launches Cloud Computing Practice Group
New practice group to offer full range of legal services to technology industry clients
July 2011, Client Advisory - FCC Issues Guidance Regarding "Transparency" Network Neutrality Requirements
June 2011, Client Advisory - Ninth Circuit Rules that Restrictions on Compensation for ISP-Bound Traffic Apply to Traffic Exchanged between Competitors
June 2011, Client Advisory - Supreme Court Rules that Incumbents Must Provide "Entrance Facilities" to Competitors at Cost-Based Rates
May 2011, Client Advisory - FCC Proposes Network Outage Reporting for Interconnected VoIP and Broadband Internet Service Providers
May 2011, Client Advisory - FCC Establishes Pleading Cycle for AT&T/T-Mobile Merger
April 2011, Client Advisory - Michigan Bell Interconnection Cases
April 2011, Client Advisory - FCC Adopts Data Roaming Order
March 22, 2011, DOJ and FCC Will Closely Scrutinize Proposed Merger of AT&T and T-Mobile, Larry Freedman Tells Law360
March 2011, Client Advisory - Universal Service and Intercarrier Compensation Reform Comment Deadlines Established
February 2011, Client Advisory - FCC Proposes Overhaul of the Universal Service Fund and Intercarrier Compensation
February 1, 2011, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Merges with Fleischman and Harding
Combination forges communications industry powerhouse with major DC presence
Before Edwards Wildman
Mr. Freedman was born and raised in Southern California. He played varsity football in high school and college and wrote and edited the student newspaper in college and law school. He attended law school in the evening division while working for the American Bar Association in the alternative dispute resolution ("ADR") field as a staff intern, and staff counsel. He wrote numerous articles and publications and participated in many nationwide trainings and conference presentations on ADR.
Mr. Freedman took a three year sabbatical from his twenty years of law practice to hold the positions of President and Chief Executive Officer of WorldNet Telecommunications Inc., a competitive telecommunications company founded in 1996 and headquartered in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He held this position for three years from 2006 to 2009. Mr. Freedman, as WorldNet's President and CEO, was responsible for the overall strategic direction and management of WorldNet's $60 plus million per year telecommunications business and 200 employees. Mr. Freedman successfully led WorldNet in three core missions to (a) deploy a state of the art network (including an internet protocol/ broadband central switch, a state of the art network operating center, and 11 remote offices throughout Puerto Rico), (b) develop a sophisticated financial budgeting and forecasting system, and (c) implement an innovative sales and marketing strategy reflecting both new ideas for this market as well as the best practices of telecommunications companies worldwide. WorldNet, during Mr. Freedman's leadership, earned recognition as one of the "20 Best Employers," and, the "Zenith Award" from the Puerto Rico Chamber of Commerce as "Best Telecommunications Carrier in Puerto Rico."
Besides Edwards Wildman
Larry has been active in various community service and pro bono activities. Among many such activities, he served for several years as a volunteer attorney at the Greentree Shelter (now known as National Center for Children and Families ["NCCF"]), has also worked pro bono for the Washington Studio School, and developed the peer mediation program for Bradley Hills Elementary School, an effort for which he was formally recognized with an award from the American Bar Association to his firm. He and his family maintain an active role in community service activities for NCCF. Among other things, his son, Ross, was named "Community Youth Leader" of the Year for NCCF for 2003 for his role in their "Big Buddy" program, a program in which his other son Scott also participated. He and his wife were named "Community Volunteers of the Year" by NCCF. The Freedman family has for the past ten years also personally sponsored and supported a number of activities for the JC Nalle Elementary School in the Anacostia section of Washington, DC, including among other things an annual holiday party for the children, sports clinics, art programs, and inspirational programs. He has participated in the "Art and Soul" NCCF Charity Event. Larry is now in the process of establishing a new community service project to model outreach partnerships to schools and community groups.
He is married to Mary Freedman, an artist and teacher of art and art appreciation to underprivileged youth. Mary Freedman has been recognized in her own right for her activities in the Greentree Adolescent Program at NCCF. They have two sons, Ross and Scott. Mr. Freedman has been active in youth activities and sports, including playing competitive basketball, soccer, and squash, and over thirty seasons of coaching youth soccer, baseball and basketball.
May 19 - 21, 2013, Boston, MA, Cloud Computing East 2013
February 28, 2013, PR, Cloud: The Next Frontier for Accelerated Business Growth
October 3, 2012, Orlando, FL, Metaswitch Forum 2012
September 23-27, 2012, Dallas, TX, 2012 FTTH Conference & Expo
April 15-18, 2012, San Francisco, CA, COMPTEL PLUS Spring 2012 Convention & EXPO
October 3 - 6, 2011, Las Vegas, NV, Metaswitch Forum 2011
June 8, 2011, St. Louis, MO, Fiber-to-the-Home Council North America Broadband and FTTH Best Practices Workshop
"Getting to FTTH: Innovative Approaches to All-Fiber Services"
April 21, 2011, Implications of the AT&T / T-Mobile Merger
How will this landmark deal change the strategic and regulatory landscape?
February 24-25, 2011, Saratoga Springs, NY, NYSTA/TANE Issues Forum
· Wireless & Satellite
· Cloud Computing & Managed IT Services
· Federal Communications Bar Association
· D.C. Bar Computer and Telecommunications Law Section