Len is active in both municipal finance and corporate finance, with an emphasis on financings for 501(c)(3) institutions, project finance, secured lending, structured finance transactions, workouts and restructurings, corporate debt, and Section 529 college savings programs.
His practice includes service as bond counsel, issuer's counsel, underwriters' counsel, and counsel to institutional purchasers and borrowers in connection with public offerings and private placements of, and defaults and bankruptcies involving, tax-exempt and taxable debt for public, nonprofit, and corporate entities. Len also serves as state sponsor's counsel and program manager's counsel on various Section 529 programs. He also is experienced in obtaining SEC no-action letters and negotiation of IRS closing agreements.
Len is a panelist on securities and constitutional law matters and on Section 529 programs, and has published articles and edited textbooks on a variety of finance-related topics.
During law school, he was an editor of the Columbia Law Review. Before joining the firm, Len clerked for Associate Justice Ruth I. Abrams of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.
• Mintz Levin Represents QIAGEN N.V. in Major Convertible Note Offering, (04.04.2014)
• Mintz Levin Receives M&A Advisor's “Consumer Services Deal of the Year” Award, (02.24.2014)
• Mintz Levin's Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Commercial Law Practice Receives Community Impact Award in 7th Annual M&A Advisor Awards, (04.04.2013)
• Quoted in Tax Cap May Not Result in Flood of Calls, Say Analysts, Bloomberg Briefs: Municipal Markets (01.16.2013)
• Quoted in Proposed 28% Cap Could Force Redemption of Billions of Debt, The Bond Buyer (01.14.2013)
• Quoted in SEC Approves ABS Rules, Including One for Munis, The Bond Buyer (01.20.2011)
• Mintz Levin Represents Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority in $400 Million Bond Offering, (09.26.2008)
• Author, Some Initial Reactions to IRS Rules for ABLE Accounts, Law360 (06.22.2015)
• Co-author, What to Make of a Diminished Thing: Tobacco Bond Defaults and Restructurings, Public Finance Bankruptcy (03.11.2015)
• Co-author, What to Make of Tobacco Bond Defaults and Restructurings, Law360 (03.11.2015)
• Co-author, Puerto Rico's New Law Faces Bankruptcy Code Battle, Law360 (08.12.2014)
• Co-author, Recent Legislative Developments in Puerto Rico, Bankruptcy & Public Finance Advisory (07.10.2014)
• Co-author, A Closer Look at Puerto Rico's Bankruptcy-Like Legislation, Law360 (07.03.2014)
• Author, Valuing Advance Refundings, The Bond Buyer (08.12.2013)
• Co-author, New Swap Business Conduct and Record-Keeping Regulations Kick in for Municipal Bond Issuers and Borrowers, Public Finance Alert (04.18.2013)
• Co-author, Reminder Regarding April 10 Deadline for Identifying Number Registration by Some Swap End-Users, Public Finance Alert (04.09.2013)
• Author, SEC Focuses On Municipal Underwriter Compliance With Due Diligence Obligations, Public Finance Advisory (03.22.2012)
• Co-author, IRS Announces Closing Agreement Program for Tax-Exempt Student Loan Bonds Subject to Taxability Determination Due to Loan-Swapping, Public Finance Advisory (03.21.2012)
• Co-author, Amended IRS Regulation Facilitates Tax-Exempt Bond Restructurings, Public Finance Advisory (05.13.2011)
• Author, SEC Proposal May Require Municipal Entity Board Members and Conduit Borrower Board Members and Financial Officers to Register as Municipal Advisors, Public Finance Alert (01.03.2011)
• Co-author, Securities and Exchange Commission Adopts Amendments to Rule 15c2-12 Disclosure Requirements, Public Finance Advisory (06.03.2010)
• Speaker, Lessons Learned from the Chapter 9 Case of Detroit and Recent Developments in Puerto Rico, Detroit and Puerto Rico, Minnesota Society of Municipal Analysts, Minneapolis, MN (06.18.2015)
• Panelist, Puerto Rico Panel Discussion, Global High Yield & Leveraged Finance Conference, Miami Beach, FL (02.24.2015)
• Panelist, Shining Light on Direct Bank Purchases, NAST Treasury Management Training Symposium, National Association of State Treasurers, Pittsburgh, PA (05.16.2013)