We are active in all aspects of the entertainment industry, including television, film, music, literary and theater, in various capacities:
- Evaluating, negotiating and drafting engagement agreements
- Providing counsel on copyright and trademark matters
- Providing counsel on labor- and union-related matters and industry practices
- General career and wealth planning
- Advising on tax matters
- Protecting clients' privacy and intellectual property rights
- Representation on contract disputes, defamation and other matters
Our lawyers are able to offer our talent clients unmatched multidisciplinary support by drawing upon the capabilities and experience of our Corporate, Tax, Litigation, Employment, Intellectual Property and Wealth Services practice groups.
We provide personal, tailored service to our talent clients and collaborate with our clients' agents and managers to help to maximize results. We understand that with every transaction and deal there are multiple layers to consider. As industry insiders with experience on both sides of the table, we are able to make smarter and better deals. In every multimedia, multiplatform and high-end deal, our goal is to provide quality results and to lay the groundwork for our clients to take advantage of every opportunity to build a long and rewarding career.
We are aggressive advocates for our clients in negotiations such as
- structuring deals for award-winning television writer/director/producers;
- employment contracts for senior level motion picture, television, and music executives;
- television production/distribution agreements;
- recording contracts with all major record labels;
- broadcast/cable network television license agreements;
- motion picture first look/financing deals;
- celebrity endorsement arrangements;
- complex book-to-film deals;
- film and television animation agreements; and
- theatrical stage production and financing agreements.
In addition, our experience includes
- expertise in profit participation audits for talent/producer participations;
- representing talent in guild arbitrations;
- analysis of complicated profit participation definitions;
- protecting celebrities' privacy and publicity rights during their lifetime and for their heirs;
- creating complex international tax plans for highly compensated individuals;
- protecting literary, film, and television rights; and
- legal support for tours and appearances by music performers.
We provide sophisticated and professional services to prominent talent clientele around the world. Our clients include actors, directors, screenwriters, producers, radio and television personalities, record producers, musicians, novelists, journalists and playwrights. Our representation reflects the unique needs and goals of each individual. We value our relationships with our clients and focus on the details, transactions and deals that will help to ensure our clients' success and career enrichment.
Leadership in Law
Our involvement in the industry is extensive. We serve as counsel to the Sundance Film Institute and advise the Academy of Country Music on legal issues. We are actively involved in groups such as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the Motion Picture Association of America. The Chair of our talent practice group, Craig Emanuel, has been profiled in Variety magazine's "Hollywood Impact List" as being a "go-to" lawyer in the entertainment business. Clients praised Emanuel in the 2008 edition of the Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Business Lawyers for being "down-to-earth and forceful" and noting "his expertise is so wide that there is nothing that he would not happily and easily take on."
As recognized experts in the industry, members of our group frequently lecture at industry events such as the UCLA Entertainment Symposium; the University of Southern California Institute on Entertainment Law and Business; the ALI/ABA Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Symposium; and the Paul Kagan Entertainment Symposium.
Craig A. Emanuel