Practice/Industry Group Overview
Loeb & Loeb LLP's Tax Group provides traditional business and individual organizational and transactional tax counseling, in addition to subspecialty work in entertainment and real estate taxation. We offer the traditional range of representation of a large firm tax department, including advice about tax aspects of:
- Partnership and limited liability companies
- International transactions and investments
- Real estate
- Real estate investment trusts
- Corporate and financial services including:
- Public offerings
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Sales and reorganizations
- Bankruptcy, restructuring and creditors' rights
- Employee benefits
- Executive compensation
- State and local taxation
- Tax exempt organizations
- Tax litigation
The strength of the tax department is based on our people - the expertise, experience, enthusiasm, imagination and care that we bring to bear in solving client problems. We are veterans of decades of tax practice and represent clients in large business transactions and significant tax controversies. Members of the tax department have published leading professional papers in a wide variety of tax periodicals and have lectured widely both across the country and internationally.
We are leaders in the tax bar locally, at a state-wide level, and nationally. Our experience is particularly concentrated in the real estate and entertainment industries, agriculture and planning for wealthy individuals.
Individual tax partners have developed important specialty practices such as:
- Paul Sczudlo who focuses on international estate planning problems and international and domestic tax problems of the entertainment industry (particularly motion picture films and music).
- Alan Tarr with specific expertise in transaction and planning problems.
- Dave Anderson in tax litigation, transactional tax problems, and taxation of cooperatives.
- John Arao who concentrates on transactional tax problems of real estate and partnerships.
- Tom Lawson with specific experience in transactional tax planning problems and other tax planning issues for wealthy individuals.
- Marla Aspinwall whose concentration is in the taxation of executive compensation, agriculture cooperatives and life insurance.
- John Warren who is a nationally-recognized expert in California state taxation.
- John Settineri who offers clients counsel on a full range of domestic and international tax matters.
- Terry Cuff with a focus on specialized problems of like-kind exchanges, partnership and LLC acquisition and distribution transactions, real estate investment trusts and special problems of drafting unusually complex partnership and LLC agreements. Terry also has been active in development of tax policy in the partnership tax area.
Leadership in Law
Several attorneys in our Tax Group have received high praise in the 2008 editions of the Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Business Lawyers. The Chambers Guide ranks lawyers and law practices through interviews with clients and competitors. Sources quoted by Chambers distinguished Loeb's Tax Group for being "'extremely well-organized, thorough, analytical and efficient,' its lawyers have a 'strong support team' and provide 'top-quality service.'"
The 2008 edition of The Legal 500 United States, a law firm referral guide, added "Loeb & Loeb has stayed in a very traditional market as others have backed away to serve the big corporates. By staying in when others were getting out, the best of the West Coast private-client tax lawyers have gravitated to Loeb & Loeb, and as a result, the firm is an excellent choice for high-net worth individuals and closely held businesses seeking advice on trust and estate planning."
Thomas N. Lawson
Alan J. Tarr