Practice/Industry Group Overview
Loeb & Loeb's White Collar Criminal Defense Group provides compliance counseling, investigates matters involving alleged wrongdoing and defends individuals and companies accused of wrongdoing by federal or state authorities.
When companies or individuals are investigated or charged by law enforcement or regulatory agencies, we work with such entities to resolve the matter, and, when necessary, vigorously defend clients in state and federal courts. Our experienced attorneys provide valuable advice to help companies develop and implement compliance programs designed to detect and, to the extent possible, prevent wrongdoing. If wrongdoing is detected or suspected, we conduct internal investigations to determine the scope of the problem, resolve the matter, prepare for and deal with regulatory scrutiny and minimize damage.
White Collar Criminal Defense
Our White Collar Criminal Defense Group is made up of experienced trial attorneys, including former Assistant US Attorneys, state prosecutors and the Director of Law Enforcement for the US Treasury Department. Our lawyers have been involved in complex, high-profile criminal investigations and prosecutions involving public and private companies and their directors, officers and employees. We have also successfully represented companies and individuals in much smaller, less publicized matters, always with the same focus and zeal, and have prevented adverse publicity whenever possible. The White Collar Criminal Defense Group has extensive criminal litigation experience in federal and state courts and with governmental agencies including the SEC, IRS, Department of Justice, US Attorneys, state Attorneys General and Congressional bodies.
When there is involvement by law enforcement or other governmental entities, we draw on our experience and credibility to resolve the matter with the least deleterious impact on the client. Where an acceptable resolution cannot be achieved, we develop effective litigation strategies and pursue all avenues for a favorable outcome for the client.
Preventive Counseling and Compliance
Our experienced attorneys design and implement programs that help clients comply with a wide variety of state, local and federal laws and regulations. Corporations increasingly require sophisticated compliance policies and procedures to deter business crimes and detect internal irregularities and malfeasance to the extent possible and early enough to minimize damage. Particular areas of focus are Sarbanes-Oxley, corporate governance and statutory compliance relating to anti-trust, intellectual property, money laundering and whistleblowing statutes.
Loeb & Loeb's White Collar Criminal Defense Group is also retained by public and private companies to conduct internal investigations for the board, audit committees, independent directors or in-house counsel. When internal wrongdoing is discovered or alleged, a corporation must respond swiftly We have conducted major investigations of fraud, embezzlement and other business crimes, and we have served as or represented court-appointed trustees, monitors and receivers of entities victimized by fraud. When an investigation reveals misconduct, we assist the company in prosecuting those responsible and obtaining restitution or damages for the company.
Our recent matters include:
- Investigation and litigation for one of the world's largest insurance carriers regarding an insurance fraud totaling hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Representation of an international bank which was the victim of a multi-million dollar fraud scheme and coordinated our efforts with the federal government.
- Court-appointed counsel to a major defense contracting company. We recovered millions of dollars stolen from the company by its former executives and financial advisors and worked closely with the US Attorney, the Justice Department and the Department of the Navy, coordinating their investigations with new management.
- Appointed counsel to the examiner by a federal bankruptcy judge to investigate an off-shore hedge fund accused of conducting millions of dollars of fraudulent transactions. The resulting report detailed securities violations, breach of fiduciary duty, mismanagement and fraud, which led the parties to settle their disputes.
- Successfully represented a major hedge fund that had been a target of extortion from a former principal.
- Investigated accusations that certain employees or officers of an international company were siphoning off corporate assets.
- Representation of an employee of a major investment banking house in connection with state and federal criminal and SEC investigations into so-called "spinning" with regard to allocations of initial public offerings.
Clients and Industries
We represent large and small companies, boards of directors, CEOs, in-house counsel and individuals from a wide range of industries such as banking, insurance, real estate, entertainment and health services. Whether the client is an individual or a Fortune 500 company, we bring the same blend of big firm experience combined with small firm one-on-one counseling. We draw on the skills and experience of our attorneys in other practice areas such as tax, labor and employment, intellectual property, securities and anti-trust and consumer protection to provide sophisticated, well-organized and cost-effective representation to our clients.
Leadership in Law
Members of Loeb & Loeb's White Collar Criminal Defense Group are actively involved in bar associations and trial attorney organizations. We also serve as adjunct professors and lecture to industry and legal groups, and frequently write articles on current corporate governance and criminal defense topics for publications including The Deal, American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, Business Insurance, The Banking Law Journal, Journal of Investment Compliance, Risk Management and Global Counsel.
Eugene R. Licker