Practice/Industry Group Overview
If you are an Israeli business seeking access to global markets or if you are interested in doing business in Israel, you need access to highly experienced and knowledgeable legal support. Both Israel and the worldwide technology markets provide a wealth of opportunities, but they can pose problems for the ill-prepared and the unwary.
What issues face an Israeli business as it attempts to access global capital? How can Israeli technology be protected outside of Israel? What innovative financing mechanisms may be available to Israeli enterprises? How should foreign investors structure an investment in Israel?
These are just some of the questions Mayer Brown's Israel group helps to answer for clients on a regular basis. The lawyers in our global Israel group have the practical experience, technical skills and commercial know-how needed to help you realize your objectives in Israel. The group includes Israeli-qualified lawyers and Hebrew-speaking lawyers.
We Understand Your Business Objectives
With lawyers in key business centers worldwide, Mayer Brown is one of the largest law practices in the world. Mayer Brown serves clients in the Americas, Asia and Europe, including many Fortune 100 and FTSE 100 companies, as well as most of the leading global banks and financial institutions. In December 2009, we formed an association with Tauil & Chequer Advogados, one of the largest and fastest growing law firms in Brazil. The firm’s Asian presence was enhanced by its 2008 combination with Johnson Stokes & Master, one of the oldest and largest law firms in Asia, forming Mayer Brown JSM. This unequalled on-the-ground presence in the world’s leading markets for legal services enables Mayer Brown to offer clients access to local market knowledge on a global basis.
Mayer Brown has more than 230 Chambers-ranked lawyers worldwide and more than 150 Peer Review Rated lawyers in Martindale Hubbell. We are regularly ranked among the leading law firms in the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe, Asia and Latin America by all of the main reviewing bodies.
How We Can Help
Our Israel group consists of lawyers throughout our international network of offices, including Israeli-qualified lawyers and Hebrew-speaking lawyers. We have the combined experience and skills necessary to provide service of excellence to clients in all aspects of their Israeli projects, including:
- A dedicated, internationally qualified team with in-depth knowledge across the full range of disciplines required for accessing global markets or investing in Israel
- Impressive strength in capital markets and international trade
- Fully integrated skills in other key areas, such as biotech, pharma, life sciences and biodefense; intellectual property and information technology/outsourcing; venture capital and private equity; mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures; financial services; finance and securitization; energy and renewable energy; telecommunications; and international arbitration
- Tried and tested project management skills to ensure that both on-site and remote support on Israeli projects is delivered effectively
- Close working relationships with major Israeli law firms
Our Israel group has the resources and experience to advise on practically any type of transaction—but never at the expense of personal attention and service.
We do not believe in "over-lawyering" any engagement. We assign a lead partner with relevant experience to direct and manage the assignment from inception to completion, giving our clients the comfort and security of knowing that this individual will keep them informed at every stage.
Our lawyers are accustomed to working under tight deadlines and take a proactive approach to ensure that issues are fully anticipated and resolved. In practice, this means proper analysis of the transaction at its outset, the early identification of potential problem areas, and rigorous project planning and timelines. We also use the latest technology to effectively manage our clients’ issues, including the provision of secure virtual deal rooms on major transactions. We make sure that our approach is flexible enough to allow for and deal with last-minute issues, and we have a proven ability to field additional global legal strength upon short notice.
Recent experience includes:
- Azini Capital Partners LLP. Represented Azini Capital Partners LLP on the acquisition of two partnerships that own interests in 16 technology companies located in such areas as the UK, Israel, the United States and the Republic of Ireland. The partnerships were acquired from the private equity firm Apax Partners Worldwide LLP.
- BellSouth. Represented BellSouth in the sale of its 34.75 percent equity ownership in Cellcom, a cellular communications operator in Israel, to Discount Investment Corp, Ltd. (TLV: DISI.TA). Discount Investment Corp. has agreed to pay BellSouth $625 million for BellSouth's entire Cellcom ownership interest.
- Sensus Metering Systems, Inc. Represented Sensus Metering Systems, Inc. in its acquisition of the automated meter reading technology and assets of Nexus Data (Israel) Ltd.
- Invesco Private Capital, Inc. Advised on an investment in an investment fund by Gemini Israel IV Limited Partnership, managed by our client, Invesco Private Capital, Inc.
- Code Securities Limited and Altium Capital Limited. Represented Code Securities Limited and Altium Capital Limited, as UK and US legal adviser, on XTL Biopharmaceuticals Ltd's proposal to raise $17.8 million through an Open Offer incorporating a UK Placing, an Israeli Private Placement and a US Private Placement. XTL Biopharmaceuticals is an Israel-based biopharmaceutical company developing drugs against hepatitis and is listed on the Official List.
- Fremont Investment & Loan. Represented Fremont Investment & Loan in a $111 million construction loan to 15 Broad Street, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company, controlled in part by Africa Israel Investments, Ltd., an Israeli company.
- Bank Leumi. Represented Bank Leumi in several transactions designed to rationalize and consolidate its US operations, including precedent-setting transfers of its FDIC-insured branches to its US bank subsidiary made possible by first obtaining an innovative ruling from the FDIC under the Riegle-Neal Interstate Banking Act.
- Mizrahi Bank. Represented Mizrahi Bank in US matters relating to its privatization by the Israeli government and the subsequent sale of its New York bank subsidiary to Safra National Bank.
- Israeli Bank Trade Association. Represented the trade association of Israeli banks in the multifaceted government relations effort to obtain approval from the IRS for Israeli banks to become "qualified intermediaries" under new IRS withholding regulations, overcoming significant obstacles posed by Israel's inclusion on the FATF list of non-cooperative countries.
- Rabobank International. Represented Rabobank International regarding the structuring and documenting of a $250 million securitization of trade receivables arising from sales of metals by Israeli, US, German, English, French, Spanish, Dutch and Netherlands Antilles subsidiaries of Makteshim Agan Industries Ltd.
- Rabobank International. Represented Rabobank International regarding the structuring and documenting of a $220 million securitization of trade receivables arising from sales of chemicals by Israeli, US, German, English and Dutch subsidiaries of Israel Chemicals Ltd.
- Bank of America, N.A. Represented Bank of America, N.A. regarding the structuring and documenting of a $255 million securitization of trade receivables arising from sales of chemicals by Israeli, US, German, English and Dutch subsidiaries of Israel Chemicals Ltd.
- Bank of America, N.A. Represented Bank of America, N.A. regarding the structuring and documenting of a $150 million securitization of trade receivables arising from sales of metals by Israeli, US, Spanish and Netherlands Antilles subsidiaries of Makteshim Agan Industries Ltd.
- AXA Insurance. Represented AXA Insurance in claims by Haifa Chemicals Ltd. and its insurers, Agrochem Insurance Company Ltd., against AXA's insured, Johnson Matthey, arising out of the cleandown of a chemical plant in Israel by Johnson Matthey's subcontractor, RS Bruce Ltd.
- Diners Club International Ltd. Represented Diners Club International Ltd. in a contract dispute and possible arbitration with its franchisees in Israel.
- Lloyd's Underwriters. Represented Lloyd's Underwriters in an investigation as to whether an Israeli insurance broker acted in breach of the terms of a binding authority.
- State of Israel Ministry of Agriculture Research Organization. Represented the State of Israel Ministry of Agriculture Research Organization on certain patent and intellectual property matters.
- Dr. Klaus Bender. Represented Dr. Klaus Bender in a license agreement with Weizman Institute in Israel.
- AM-Safe Aviation. Represented AM-Safe Aviation in obtaining a vehicle safety system Israel PCT National Phase Application.
- Bank Hapoalim. Represented Bank Hapoalim in obtaining regulatory approvals for establishing of Signature Bank, its de novo New York bank subsidiary, and Signature Securities, its US broker-dealer subsidiary. The Federal Reserve approval for Signature Bank was the first time the Federal Reserve found that an Israeli bank was subject to "comprehensive consolidated supervision" and required development of an extensive government relations strategy to address the fact that Israel had been included on the Final Action Task Force's list of countries that are "non-cooperative in the fight against money laundering."