Practice/Industry Group Overview
Mintz Levin’s attorneys are not simply shipping lawyers. We are corporate lawyers with in-depth shipping experience—a distinction that allows us to stay abreast of all the business issues and to import ideas and novel structures used in other industries to the shipping industry.
We work with shipping companies in both the wet and dry sectors and logistics companies that are both oceangoing and engaged in river transport, and we provide services to both traditional shipping public companies and MLPs (Master Limited Partnerships) in a number of areas.
We act as counsel to issuers, underwriters, and investors in capital markets transactions including:
- Initial public offerings
- Secondary and follow-on offerings, including “shelf” offerings
- Rule 144A offerings, including high-yield debt offerings
- Offshore offerings under Regulation S
- Private equity offerings, including “PIPE” (Private Investment in Public Equity) transactions
- Structured finance and securitization transactions
We assist our client companies in becoming U.S. public companies in a variety of ways including:
- Traditional IPOs
- Mergers into SPACs and public shells
We represent and advise public companies in connection with:
- Stock exchange listings, including NYSE and Nasdaq listings
- SEC reporting requirements, including preparation and filing of Forms 20-F, 6-Ks, and other relevant reports
- Regulatory compliance, including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002
- Implementation and use of equity incentive plans
- Employee matters, including immigration
We represent and advise acquirers and sellers in Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) transactions, including both conventional and unconventional acquisition structures. We have represented shipping clients in acquisitions in Asia, South America, and throughout Europe.
We provide related tax services, including guidance on qualifying for the 883 U.S. tax exemption and other matters, such as Passive Foreign Investment Company (PFIC) issues, that commonly impact the shipping industry.
We provide all the legal services a non-U.S. company may require to operate within the U.S., including real estate, employment, immigration, litigation and other related services.