Practice/Industry Group Overview
Morris Polich & Purdy’s Property Insurance Law attorneys have developed a reputation nationally and internationally for our thoughtful representation of major carriers.
Our practice includes a full spectrum of services, including:
- The vigorous defense of first-party extra contractual “bad faith” litigation through jury trial and appeal
- Coverage advice and litigation regarding the full range of property insurance claims, losses, and issues, for both commercial/business and personal lines
- Coverage advice and litigation regarding catastrophic losses
- Coverage and litigation involving environmental, water loss, and mold issues
- Complex disputes involving business interruption and other “time element” claims
- Intercompany disputes involving issues of excess insurance, contribution and indemnity
- Coverage advice and litigation regarding policy rescission issues
- Advising as to alternatives to litigation and representing clients in alternative dispute resolution forums
- Handling formal appraisal hearings, as permitted by the property insurance contract
- Conducting Examinations Under Oath of insureds and others, pursuant to the conditions of the insurance policy contract
- Loss scene counseling and management – including working with origin & cause investigators, electrical and mechanical engineers, metallurgists, and other professionals as appropriate to ensure the loss scene is properly documented, all reasonable cause hypotheses are carefully and thoroughly considered, all pertinent evidence is properly collected and preserved, other-party inspections of the scene are well coordinated so as to permit appropriate access while avoiding spoliation of evidence and other problems, etc.
- Representation on Department of Insurance inquiries
- Handling major subrogation claims for insurers arising out of wildfires, structure fires, natural gas explosions, earthquakes, levee failures and other disasters
On matters involving suspected arson and fraud we are well experienced in loss scene counseling and management, claim investigation counseling and guidance, conducting searching and effective yet respectful and professional Examinations Under Oath, and working with forensic accountants and other professionals as appropriate. In addition, our attorneys have been deeply involved in the technical aspects of fire investigation for decades, have authored, co-authored, and peer reviewed portions of several nationally and internationally recognized substantive treatises on these and related topics, and have served as Legal Counsel to, and on the Boards of Directors of, the California Conference of Arson Investigators and other industry organizations.
We also provide carefully analyzed coverage opinions and practical advice based on our dedication to thoroughly understanding and keeping abreast of the latest legal developments in property insurance law. A hallmark of our practice is our litigation-avoidance and “good faith” counseling service.
We frequently present seminars and write articles on these and numerous other pertinent topics, for clients, as well as various fire fighting, law enforcement, and insurance industry organizations. We work hard to maintain close individual contact with our clients and to keep them well informed of new developments that may impact their industry or professional lives.