- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Antitrust and Trade
- Broker-Dealer Litigation and Arbitration
- Commercial Litigation
- Sports and Entertainment
- Corporate Law / Business Organizations
- Franchise and Distribution
- Intellectual Property
|University ||Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1975-1976; George Washington University, B.A., with honors, 1977|
|Law School||University of Michigan, J.D., cum laude, 1981|
|Admitted||1982, New York; 1984, Ohio; 1988, Michigan; 1982, U.S. District Court Southern District of New York; 1982, U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York; 1982, Court of Appeals New York; 1983, United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit; 1984, Supreme Court Michigan; 1984, Supreme Court Ohio; 1985, U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio; 1985, United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit; 1986, United States Supreme Court; 1987, U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan; 1988, United States Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit; 2000, U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio; 2005, United States Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit|
|Born||Toledo, Ohio, December 26, 1955|
Peter Silverman has extensive experience in the area of commercial litigation and general business counsel. He has substantial experience in a number of specialty areas, including franchising, alternative dispute resolution, intellectual property, securities, and antitrust.
Peter has been an active arbitrator since 1986 and mediator since 1990. He is a member of the AAA's Large, Complex Case Arbitration Panel. He teaches seminars nationwide and writes widely on alternative dispute resolution.
In 2013 and eight prior years, Franchise Times® recognized him as one of the nation's top 100 franchise lawyers. Best Lawyers lists him as one of America's best Arbitration, Commercial Litigation, Franchise Law, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation - Securities, and Mediation lawyers, and Ohio Super Lawyers® recognizes him in franchise law. He was chair of the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee and on the Governing Committee of the ABA Forum on Franchising, and is a member of the IFA/CPR Franchise Mediation Program Steering Committee. He received the Ernst and Young / Inc. Magazine Entrepreneur of the Year Award for his work in helping business owners start and grow their businesses, and is a member of the University of Toledo and Bowling Green State University Entrepreneurial & Business Excellence Hall Of Fame. He formerly served on the Toledo City Council, the Toledo School Board, and the Ohio Casino Commission.
In his 31 years of practice, Mr. Silverman has tried over 75 cases to conclusion in court and arbitration, and has served as an arbitrator in over 25 cases. In the latest five years, he has:
· Won defense verdict in 7-figure securities fraud case after a bench trial.
· Won defense verdict in 7-figure jury trial in federal court in a case between real estate developers over a broken deal.
· Won arbitration award for $500,000 against two broker dealers related to fraud in connection with reverse convertible notes.
· Successfully settled counterfeit action in which defendant received back the seven trailer-loads of goods seized from its warehouses.
· Obtained full-recovery six figure award in arbitration on behalf of national trust company against systems provider.
· Investigated complex securities investment, brought suit, and exposed $200 MM Ponzi scheme.
· Recovered 7-figure settlement in RICO/fraud suit by developer against general contractor.
· Successfully resolved termination/breach actions brought by Bennigan's against over 75 franchisees and guarantors.
· Secured 6-figure settlement in legal malpractice action brought by franchisor.
· Participating in trial team bringing arbitrations on behalf of over 1000 former Merrill Lynch brokers against Bank of America, including parallel class action litigation.
· Serving as lead trial counsel in trademark confusion case between two national consumer brands (still pending).
· Franchise Times®, recognized as one of the Nation's top 100 franchise lawyers
· Best Lawyers in America, 2007 - 2014
· Ohio Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine, 2011, 2010, 2009
· Entrepreneurial & Business Excellence Hall Of Fame
· Toledo Business Journal, "Who's Who in Toledo Area Law"
· Ernst and Young Inc. Magazine, "Entrepreneur of the Year" Award
· AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Top Rated Commercial Litigation Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell, 2012
Professional and Community Affiliations
· Toledo Bar Association
· Ohio State Bar Association
· American Bar Association
· ABA Forum on Franchising
· IFA/CPR Franchise Mediation Program Steering Committee
Sports and Entertainment
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#55 in weekly profile views out of 1,791 lawyers in Toledo, Ohio|
|#41,985 in weekly profile views out of 1,530,397 total lawyers Overall|