Practice/Industry Group Overview
Phillips Nizer LLP's Property and Casualty Insurance Law practice concentrates on counseling, negotiation and litigation on behalf of policyholders in the casualty, property, marine and other commercial insurance areas.
Our clients include Fortune 500 policyholders; a major utility; insurance brokers; and a variety of business policyholders. The value of our insurance practice to clients is enhanced by our ability to call upon the skills of other practice concentrations at the firm, including litigation, environmental law, intellectual property, emerging technology and bankruptcy.
Noteworthy representations in the insurance area include:
- Recovering $30 million in litigation on a business interruption claim
- Securing a unanimous jury verdict awarding coverage for multi-million dollar liabilities associated with a substantial environmental clean-up
- Recovering more than $5 million for a policyholder through arbitration and litigation with London and European insurers on a jewelry robbery loss
- Counseling policyholders in connection with the successful settlement of a nine-figure marine loss
- Representing policyholders in negotiation and litigation over coverage for employment practices liability, intellectual property, hazardous waste cleanup, asbestos, lead paint and various chemical release claims
- Successfully representing five major metropolitan hospitals and class of 800 affiliated physicians in an action against their insurance brokers in connection with failure to secure promised medical malpractice coverage
In addition to work on specific cases, the firm provides ongoing counseling to policyholders on matters such as drafting policy terms, providing notice of possible occurrences, claim tenders, defense and indemnity, advice on policy interpretation issues, claims handling and relations with brokers and state insurance departments. Firm attorneys also provide advice on coverage issues, such as e-commerce.
The group's lawyers have written on insurance topics for such publications as The National Law Journal, Defense Research Institute, The Journal of Insurance Coverage, New York Law Journal, The Insurance Advocate and Matthew Bender's New York Insurance Law. They have lectured on insurance topics at Fordham University School of Law, the International Bar Association, seminars sponsored by Executive Enterprises, Inc., Hunter College of the City of New York, government agencies and before corporate and insurance industry groups.