- Banking and Finance
- Fraud, Corruption and Asset Recovery
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy
|Law School||University of Manitoba, LL.B., 1979|
|Admitted||1980, Manitoba; 1981, Saskatchewan; 1992, Alberta|
Activities and Affiliations
•Member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada
•Member, Law Society of Alberta, Law Society of Saskatchewan, Law Society of Manitoba (non-practising), Canadian Bar Association, Edmonton Bar Association, and Insol International and Turnaround Management Association
Ray is a partner and manager of Dentons Edmonton's Insolvency Team, and a member of the firm's Financial Services and Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Groups. He is the Edmonton Chair of the Insolvency and Restructuring Group.
Ray is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, the Turnaround Management Association and INSOL International.
•Millar Western Holding Holdings (Meadow Lake) Ltd., Millar Western Investments (Saskatchewan) Ltd., Millar Western Industries Ltd. and Millar Western Forest Products Ltd.: Represented counsel for a partner, shareholder, administrator and marketing agent in relation to the reorganization of Meadow Lake Pulp Mill, being the largest (in amount of debt) Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act proceeding in Saskatchewan's history.
•Meadow Lake Pulp Mill: Acted and continue to act for a shareholder, partner and manager of Meadow Lake Pulp Mill, the world's first zero liquid effluent discharge Pulp Mill (BCTMP), in the context of the largest Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act proceedings (by dollar amount) in Saskatchewan history.
• Confidential client: Acting on behalf of a bank in a PPSA priority dispute with Wells Fargo Equipment Finance Company in relation to numerous pieces of equipment - The case centers on the issue of when a bank has knowledge of certain facts within the meaning of the PPSA.
• Confidential client: Acting on behalf of a bank in a PPSA priority dispute with Atco Structures Inc. in relation to numerous commercial trailers - The case centers on the types of leases which are subject to the provisions of the PPSA.
• Confidential client: Acting on behalf of a bank in a PPSA priority dispute with Paccar Financial Services Inc. in relation to large trucks leased by Paccar - The case centered on the issue of whether a trucking fleet used to generate income by a company in receivership constituted inventory within the meaning of the PPSA.
• Confidential client: Represented and continue to represent a bank in the context of the receivership and bankruptcy of Head West Energy Inc. and related companies, engaged in the oil field equipment rental business.
•Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law (2006-2015)
•Repeatedly recommended by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 as one of Canada's leading lawyers in the area of Insolvency and Financial Restructuring
•Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished BV Peer Review Rating
•Former Sessional Lecturer, Faculty of Law
•Former Instructor, Bar Admissions course
•Lecturer, Canadian Bar Association, Saskatchewan
•Lecturer, Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Branch
•Lecturer, Canadian Bankers' Association
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#55 in weekly profile views out of 2,615 lawyers in Edmonton, Alberta|
|#17,014 in weekly profile views out of 1,691,864 total lawyers Overall|