SHAWN R. FARRELL is a Partner in the Construction, Labor & Employment and Insurance Groups at Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman PC, as well as a Shareholder and member of the Board of Directors. He provides his clients with a high level of professionalism to a variety of complex civil litigation matters involving construction, employment issues and insurance. His clients include construction companies, high-tech, hedge-funds and other public corporations.
Shawn handles all phases of construction law, from negotiating and drafting construction contracts to litigating cases. He has litigated numerous complex construction matters in federal court, state court, mediation and arbitration. He shares his expertise with numerous clients and trade organizations on topics such as mechanics' liens, surety law, proving and pricing construction claims, OSHA violations and alternative dispute resolution in the construction industry.
Shawn offers his clients a wide range of employment law expertise. He has litigated state and federal actions (including several federal jury trials) regarding wrongful discharge, race discrimination, gender discrimination, sexual harassment and related tort claims. In addition, he has successfully defended matters through dispositive pre-trial motions and trial under Title VII, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination. He is often asked to speak to companies and trade organizations on how to properly investigate sexual harassment, hostile work place and racial discrimination claims.
Shawn also handles a variety of other civil litigation matters in federal court, state court, and arbitration and mediation forums regarding securities transactions, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), business torts and other general business matters.
Shawn also has developed an expertise in the life settlement business and with premium finance structures used in the purchase of life insurance. To this end, he has obtained several million dollar judgments plus the award of attorney's fees, representing lenders and hedge funds that provided capital to the industry.
· Building Industry Association of Philadelphia (BIA) - Member; Board of Directors
· Associated Builders and Contractors Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter (ABC)
· Associated Construction Contractors of New Jersey (ACCNJ)
· Utility and Transportation Contractors Association of New Jersey (UTCA)
· Mechanical Contractors Association of New York (MCA)
· Associated General Contractors New York State (AGC)
· New York Building Contractors Association (BCANY)
· Philadelphia Bar Association
· American Bar Association (ABA)
Awards & Recognition
· Shawn has achieved an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating for professional ethical standards and legal ability by Martindale-Hubbell.
· Shawn was named and Pennsylvania and New Jersey Super Lawyer in 2013 in the field of Construction Litigation by Law & Politics Magazine. Law & Politics Magazine publishes Super Lawyers annually to recognize accomplished lawyers in more than 70 areas of practice.
· Shawn was named a Pennsylvania Rising Star in the field of Construction Litigation from 2005-2007 by Law & Politics Magazine.
(Also at Parsippany, NJ and New York, NY Office)