Stephen Rabinowitz represents private equity funds, financial institutions, developers and other investors and operators in the acquisition, financing, development, sale and leasing of all classes of commercial properties including office, hotel, multi-family and condominium properties. A significant portion of his practice is devoted to joint ventures, preferred equity investments and other sophisticated equity and debt structures, including venture formation and debt and equity restructuring. Stephen is the Chair of the New York Real Estate Practice.
Areas of Concentration
· Joint ventures
· Opportunity funds
Professional & Community Involvement
· Secretary and Member of the Board of Trustees, East Harlem Tutorial Program
· Member of the Board of Trustees, Lupus Foundation of America
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2007-2014
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010 and 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2007-2013
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2007-2009 and 2012-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Selected, "Lawyers Forum," Real Estate New York, July/August 2008
· Listed, Real Estate Weekly "2008 All Stars," July 23, 2008
· Listed, Who's Who in the East, 34th Edition
· Represented the Denihan Hospitality Group in a joint venture with Pebblebrook Hotel Trust to own six upscale Manhattan hotels in a transaction valued at approximately $910 million.
· Represented Highgate Hotels and Walton Street Partners in the sale of the Paramount Hotel, New York, NY.
· Represented SL Green Realty Corp. in the acquisition of a preferred equity interest in 1633 Broadway, a Class A New York office tower.
· Represented SL Green Realty Corp. in its acquisition of a 49.9% stake in 180 Maiden Lane, a 1.1 million-square-foot New York office tower.
· Represented UDR, Inc. in its acquisition of Columbus Square, a portfolio of five multi-family towers.
· Clerk to U.S. District Chief Judge, James C. Turk, United States District Court, Western District of Virginia, 1986 Term
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Real Estate: An Overview," PLC U.S. Special Report, 2008-2009, November 2008
· Author, "Country Q & A: United States," PLC Cross-border Corporate Real Estate Handbook - United States, 2007-2008 and 2008-2009, November 2007 and October 2008
· Cited, "MetLife Sells Complex For Record $5.4 billion," New York Law Journal, Real Estate Update, Marketplace, Oct. 25, 2006