- Business Litigation
- Construction Contracts and Litigation Law
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Litigation and Appeals
- Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Product Liability and Toxic Torts
- Public Utilities
- Telecommunications & Utilities
|Contact Info||Telephone: (515) 288-2500|
Fax: (515) 243-0654
|University ||University of Iowa, 1973|
|Law School||University of Iowa College of Law, 1976|
|Born||Baraboo, Wisconsin, 1952|
Steve is a senior shareholder of the Davis Brown Law Firm and a member of the Litigation Division.
Steve has handled a wide variety of civil cases including products liability and warranty claims, wrongful death actions, breach of contract, employment disputes, tortious interference and other business torts, insurance coverage disputes, misappropriation of trade secrets, securities law violations, lender liability, commercial disputes, construction litigation, and real estate litigation. He is admitted to practice before the courts of the State of Iowa, the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern District of Iowa, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Some of Steve's recent cases have included:
· Defending a major tobacco company in over a dozen individual smoker cases and a class action brought on behalf of all injured smokers in the state of Iowa - the class was denied certification and ultimately all of the cases were dismissed without remuneration to the plaintiffs.
· Enjoining the termination of a client's hotel franchise by a multinational hotel franchisor and subsequently achieving a favorable settlement.
· Obtaining a dismissal with prejudice of all claims asserted against a client in an insurance coverage dispute.
· Successfully challenging the constitutionality of an Iowa statute - major portions of the statute were stricken by a federal district court on preemption grounds and the decision was affirmed by the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
· Favorably mediating two securities class actions - one representing the plaintiff investors and the other representing the defendant.
· AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell. An AV certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.
Steve clerked for Justice W. W. Reynoldson of the Iowa Supreme Court.
· American Bar Association
· Iowa State Bar Association
· Polk County Bar Association
· Steven L. Nelson Celebrates 35 Years of Service
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#74 in weekly profile views out of 2,185 lawyers in Des Moines, Iowa|
|#44,918 in weekly profile views out of 1,509,349 total lawyers Overall|
The determination of the need for legal services and the choice of a lawyer are extremely important decisions and should not be based solely upon advertisements, certification, specialization or self-proclaimed expertise. A description or indication of limitation of practice does not mean that any agency or board has certified such lawyers as specialist or expert in an indicated field of law practice nor does it mean that such lawyer is necessarily any more expert or competent than any other lawyer. All potential clients are urged to make their own independent investigation and evaluation of any lawyer being considered. These disclosures are required by the Supreme Court of Iowa.