Over a 37 year career as a corporate lawyer, Walter has managed virtually every type of legal issue faced by businesses.
Walter served as Managing Partner of the firm from April 2008 - February 2012. He led the firm through two successful mergers enabling the firm to grow substantially in the US as well as internationally. His expertise as an experienced business advisor played a critical role in the firm's strategic growth.
Walter also served as the Chairman of the Executive Committee from 2005 to 2008, and as a Deputy Managing Partner from 2000 to 2005.
Walter's corporate law experience enables him to serve as outside general counsel to a number of major business clients. He specializes in corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. He advises many corporate boards and serves as a trusted fiduciary and family advisor to many wealthy families throughout the nation. Walter has been listed for many years in the Corporate Law and Corporate, M&A and Securities Law sections of The Best Lawyers In America and the Corporate Law section of Chambers. He has also been included in the Rhode Island Super Lawyers listing in the Business/Corporate section by Thomson Reuters. The Legal 500 US 2011 describes him as a national practitioner worthy of recognition.
• Walter was the leader of the legal team which represented Aloha Partners in its sale to AT&T for $2.5 billion.
• Walter led the legal team for the representation of GTECH in its $4.7 billion acquisition by Lottomatica, S.p.A. Lottomatica is an Italian public company which is majority owned by the De Agostini Group.
• Walter led the representation of Network Intelligence, Inc., in its $175 million acquisition by EMC.
• Walter managed the legal work for GTECH in its acquisitions of Interlott Technologies, Inc. and Spielo Manufacturing Inc.
• He led the representation of GTECH Holdings Corporation in issuing $125 million of Contingent Interest Convertible Bonds and $250 million of Secured Notes and completing a $500 million senior credit facility.
• He advised the owners of Comtec Information Systems, Inc., a Rhode Island-based high technology corporation, in its sale to Zebra Technologies Corp. for approximately $90 million.
• Walter negotiated a joint venture with AT&T for Dobson Cellular Corporation and then co-led the legal team for the joint venture's acquisition of American Cellular for approximately $2 billion.
• Walter led the legal team for The Providence Journal Company in its merger into Belo Corporation.
• He managed the legal team for The Providence Journal Company in connection with the spin-off of its broadcast, publishing and new media business into a new company and in connection with Continental Cablevision's acquisition by merger of the Journal's cable television properties for $1.4 billion dollars.
Before Edwards Wildman
During college and law school, Walter worked in the press office and in the legal counsel's office of Rhode Island Governor Philip W. Noel. After law school, Walter began his legal career with Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy in New York.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Walter has served as a Trustee and the Treasurer of The Wheeler School in Providence, RI. He has also served as a Trustee, the Secretary, and an Executive Committee member of the Preservation Society of Newport County. In addition, Walter holds the light tackle world record for permit, one of the triple crown of light tackle salt water fishing.
Reflecting on the Past; Preparing for Your Future
April 26, 2010 event
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association's 21st Annual Convention
November 19, 2009 event
Update on Lehman Brothers Insolvency Proceedings in the US, UK and Japan
October 7, 2008
Client Advisory - Senate Rescue Bill
October 1, 2008
Chambers USA 2014 Recognizes 35 Edwards Wildman Lawyers for Excellence
June 4, 2014
Best Lawyers Recognizes 54 Edwards Wildman Attorneys
October 16, 2013
Chambers USA 2013 Ranks 36 Edwards Wildman Lawyers in 17 Practice Areas
May 28, 2013
Edwards Wildman's Walter Reed Profiled in Q&A Feature in Bloomberg Brief Mergers
October 31, 2012
Edwards Wildman's Walter Reed Anticipates that SoftBank's Deal with Sprint Will Win Approval, Reports International Business Times
October 25, 2012
Best Lawyers Recognizes 56 Edwards Wildman Attorneys
September 27, 2012
Edwards Wildman's Walter Reed Analyzes FCC's Review of Rules Governing Spectrum Allocation in The New York Times
September 26, 2012
Walter G.D. Reed Elected fellow of the American Bar Foundation
August 17, 2012
Chambers USA 2012 Ranks 33 Edwards Wildman Lawyers in 17 Practice Areas
June 7, 2012
Edwards Wildman Launches as an International Law Firm with 650 Lawyers and 14 Offices
October 1, 2011