Debra has been devoted to representing clients in matters of family law throughout northern Virginia for two decades. She focuses on negotiating and drafting agreements and she regularly appears in court for motions and trials involving all aspects of divorce and post-divorce litigation in Fairfax Circuit Court and the surrounding jurisdictions. She compassionately helps families navigate difficult issues such as child support, child custody, divorce, property division, premarital agreements, and spousal support.
Debra knows all too well the emotions involved when a family is embroiled in a legal dispute. She provides her clients not only legal advice, but also guidance and support so they do not feel lost or overwhelmed by the process itself. She communicates and discusses options with her clients through every step so together they can determine the best way forward in their unique case. This is crucial in empowering clients to make well-informed decisions about their future.
Debra has received a number of accolades from the legal community for her client-focused nature, professionalism with her colleagues, advocacy skills, and knowledge of the law.
As a member of the VTLA Board of Governors from 2008-2018, Debra served as chair of the Family Law Section and co-chair of the Diversity, Membership, and Public Affairs Committees. She was on the board of the Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Northern Virginia Chapter from 2002-2009, serving as President in 2007. Debra received the Fairfax Bar Association President's Award in 2003 and 2008. She also served on the Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Committee 2006-2012.
Debra received a B.A. magna cum laude from University of Richmond, and her J.D. from University of Virginia, where she was a member of the editorial board of the Virginia Environmental Law Journal. For several years after receiving her law degree and before beginning to practice law, Debra was a legal analyst and editor with Lexis Law Publishing.
Honors and Awards:
• Super Lawyers Virginia, 2016 - 2019
• Super Lawyers Washington DC 2016 - 2019
• Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Stars, 2008
• Virginia Business Legal Elite, 2014
• Northern Virginia Magazine Top Lawyers (Premarital Agreements, Visitation Rights), 2011 and 2013
• Fairfax Bar Association President's Award, 2003 and 2009
• Preserving the Record for Appeal for the Family Law Attorney, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2017
• Keeping the Pipeline Flowing: Minority Attorneys Advancing Personal Success, Positively Impacting the Practice of Law, and Improving the Administration of Justice, Virginia State Bar's Diversity Conference, First Annual Forum on Diversity in the Legal Profession, 2018
• Pretrial Matters, VTLA Advanced Family Law Retreat - Advanced Trial Advocacy, 2017
• Tax Consequences After the Divorce, Divorce Law: Common Mistakes in Dividing Assets, National Business Institute, 2016
• Effective Use of Illustrative Aides & Exhibits at Trial and How to Admit in Family Law Cases, The New Rules of Evidence in the New Digital Age, VTLA Annual Tort Seminar, 2015
• The ABCs of the PKPA, UCCJEA, Hague, and PKPA - The Alphabet of Custody Jurisdiction, FBA, 2014
• Ethics, Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, 2014
Previous Law Firm Employment:
• Member, The Susan Hicks Group, PC, Fairfax, Virginia, 2001-2019
• Associate, Weiner, Weiner & Weiner, Fairfax Virginia, 1999-2001
Pro Bono Activities:• Legal Services of Northern Virginia, Attorney of the Day Program
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.