Awards and Recognition
•5.0 out of 5- AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
•Selected to the Texas Super Lawyer list, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) 2006, 2012-2017
•Selected to the Texas Rising Star list, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) 2005-2006
•The Top Lawyers in Houston, HTexas Magazine (Bayou City Publishing),
•Briefing Attorney to the Hon. Chief Justice J. Curtiss Brown of the Fourteenth Court of Appeals
News and Events
•MehaffyWeber In World Leading Legal Network
•MehaffyWeber Attorneys Selected to the 2014 Texas Super Lawyers
•HTexas Magazine Names 10 MehaffyWeber Top Lawyers
•TOP LEGAL DIRECTORY RANKS MEHAFFY WEBER'S INTERNATIONAL NETWORK
•Paul R. Heyburn admitted to practice in Arkansas
•12 MehaffyWeber attorneys named Rising Stars
•14 MehaffyWeber Attorneys Named Texas Super Lawyers for 2006
•Obtained finding of no liability for Fortune 1000 client for plaintiff seeking recovery for personal injury sustained as a result of a collision between a train and a tractor-trailer. King v. Bigler LP, 2011 WL 1542737 (S.D.Tex. 2011)
•Successful trial and appeal of finding of no liability in favor of a Fortune 100 client in a commercial subrogation lawsuit. Dewayne Rogers Logging, Inc. v. Deere & Company, 299 S.W.3d 374, 391 (Tex. App.-Tyler 2009, pet. denied, October 21, 2011 ) (the Texas Supreme Court denied plaintiff's petition for review after requesting full briefs on the merits).
•Obtained finding of no liability for multiple multi-national corporate clients following a five week trial in CERCLA cost recovery for a $30,000,000.00+ Superfund site. Lyondell Chemical Co., et al, Plaintiffs, v. Albemarle Corp., et al, Defendants, (Doc. 1292) (E.D.Tex. 2007)
•Obtained defense verdict after a three week trial for claims made on behalf a former employee of Fortune 100 client who claimed that his cancer was caused by exposure on client's premises. Wolf, et al v. The Dow Chemical Co.; Cause Number 16383*BH01, District Court of Texas, 23rd Judicial District, Brazoria County.
•Obtained summary judgment on successor liability claims made by personal injury claimant against a Fortune 100 client. The judgment was sustained on appeal. Wortham v. Dow Chemical Co., 179 S.W.3rd 189 (Tex.App.-Houston [14th Dist.] 2005, no pet.)
•Successfully defended multiple clients in CERCLA cost recovery suit related to a $120,000,000.00 Superfund site. U.S.A. v. Atlantic Richfield Co., No. 98 CV 0408; In the United States District Court (S.D. Texas 2002)
Articles and Presentations
The Inherent Conflict Between the Reasonable Ratio and Net Worth Tests in Ascertaining Punitive Damages in Texas, 23 Tex. Tech L. Rev. 1059.
• Anti-Corruption Efforts in Latin America: A parallel between local regulation and FCPA, Mackrell International; September 2016.
•“Rein in the Reptile - Methods to Combat the Reptile Trial Strategy,” Mackrell International; February 2017.
•“When Money is Not Enough - Protecting Your Company's Interests with Injunctive Relief in the US, UK and Worldwide,” Mackrell International; January 2016.
•“Vital Updates for In-House Counsel - Complex Commercial Litigation 2015,” Complex Commercial Law Institute (CCLI); October 2015.
• Updates on Current Environmental Issues: Self-Disclosure, Energy Reforms in Mexico, and Traps, Mackrell International; October 2015.
•“Defending Damages Claims in Complex Litigation,” Mackrell International; June 2015.
•“Food Fight: What’s Cookin’ in the Food Industry,” Mackrell International; April 2015.
•“Environmental Law Update: Defense of Third Party Challenges to Compliance and Permits; EPA’s E-Enterprise Initiative and Next Gen Enforcement; and Pollution Liability Claims Under the Federal Oil Pollution Act and Dig Alert Scheme,” Mackrell International; February 2015
• Insurance MDL Litigation: How to Get Them, How to Get Out of Them, and What to Do Once You Are in Them,“ TexasBar CLE- 11th Annual Advanced Insurance Law Seminar; April 2014.
• Response to Chemical Spills in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, Mackrell International; April 2014.
• Hydraulic Fracturing from Multiple Angles: Trade Secrets; Regulatory; and Environmental Issues, International Institute of Natural Resources, Energy, and Environmental Law (IINREEL); September 2013.
• CERCLA Update: BNSF - 4 Years Later; End Run Attempts Around CERCLA Contribution Protection; and CERCLA Under the Obama Administration, Mackrell International; April 2013.
• Current Environmental Issues Across the United States: Hydraulic Fracturing, Vapor Intrusion of PCE, and Green Gasoline, Mackrell International; August 2012.
• Closing Argument, HarrisMartin - Texas Asbestos Litigation Conference 2008.
• Premises Liability for Criminal Conduct: When is Foreseeability Established?, The Houston Lawyer, September; October 1998.
• Ethical Issues in Mass Torts, Asbestos/Personal Injury Seminar, Defense Research Institute (DRI); November 1996.
of Houston Young Lawyer Foundation - an invitation only organization limited to less than 1% of the Houston bar
•Member, Diversity Law Institute
•Member, The Trial Law Institute
•Member, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society - the nation's oldest, largest, and most selective collegiate honor society for all academic disciplines
Texas Delegate to Mackrell International
Chair, Energy and Natural Resources Practice Group
Chair, Environmental Law Practice Group, 2012-2014
International Institute for Natural Resources, Energy, and Environmental Law (IINREEL)
Vice- Chair Practice Development, 2012-2014
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Complex Commercial Law Institute, Member
U.S. China Global Investment & Trade Alliance; Texas Delegate
Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
Houston Young Lawyer Foundation, Life Fellow
Diversity Law Institute, Member
The Trial Law Institute, Member
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Member
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.