Brett R. Harris, a shareholder with Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer P.A., has broad-based general corporate practice consisting of both transactional matters and day-to-day client counseling on everyday business matters. She has extensive transactional experience in stock and asset acquisitions representing both buyers and sellers. She has many years of experience in document drafting and negotiation, regulatory compliance matters and policy development for a full range of clients, including publicly-traded companies, closely-held businesses, health care practices, charitable organizations, governmental entities and individual business executives.
Ms. Harris has a particular focus on counseling non-profit organizations including entity formation, establishing and maintaining tax exempt status and complying with fundraising regulations. She counsels Boards on policy matters, mission statement development and strategic planning. In addition, she advises clients on structuring and operating family foundations, including grant making due diligence and administration of grant agreements.
Her intellectual property practice consists of trademark screening, trademark and copyright registrations, IP licensing matters, trade secret protections, issuing and responding to cease and desist letters and interfacing with the firm's commercial litigation team on infringement matters.
Ms. Harris has developed a practice with an emphasis on technology issues. She represents software developers, online businesses and consulting firms. Ms. Harris also advises general business clients and non-profits in addressing technology concerns, including privacy, licensing, e-discovery, development of online policies and website disclaimers, e-commerce, domain name management, establishment of employee e-mail and Internet usage policies and addressing legal issues related to social media.
· Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Rating of 5.0/5.0.
· Named as one of NJBIZ Magazine's 2012 Best 50 Women in Business.
· Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2012 in Corporate/M&A practice area.
· Recipient of The Founder's Award from "I Have a Dream" Foundation - Plainfield Project in October 2011.
· Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, Inc. for 2007-2012 in the specialties of Intellectual Property Law, Corporate Law, Business Organizations and Trademark Law
· Recognized as a Super Lawyer in the New Jersey Law Monthly, New Jersey Super Lawyers Editions for 2007-2012 in areas of Business/Corporate, Intellectual Property, Information Technology and Non-Profit
· Recognized in "Women and Minorities in the Legal Profession" supplement of the New Jersey Law Journal in August of 2005.
· Recognized in August of 2002 in the New Jersey Law Journal's "Forty under Forty" listing.
· New Jersey State Bar Association Business Law Section - Member of the Board of Directors (2001-present); Vice Chair Communications (2005-present)
· New Jersey State Bar Association Internet and Computer Law Committee Chair (2003-2005; 2011-present)
· New Jersey State Bar Association Women in the Profession Section, Member of the Board of Trustees (2011-present).
· Member of New Jersey State Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section and Privacy Committee
· Member of American Bar Association (Business Law Section, Law Practice Management Section, Science & Technology Law Section and Center for Professional Responsibility)
· New Jersey Women Lawyers Association Member
· Middlesex County Bar Association Member
· Special Editor for New Jersey Lawyer (Magazine) Nonprofit Law issue published April 2010 and Internet Law issue published December 2008
· Published in New Jersey Lawyer (Magazine), New Jersey Law Journal, New Jersey Family Lawyer, The Computer & Internet Lawyer
· Symposium Coordinator, Program Coordinator, Moderator and/or Speaker for numerous programs of the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education and other legal education providers
· Association for Corporate Growth - New Jersey member, including Women of Leadership Committee
Community and Charitable Activities:
· Member of the Medical and Professional Advisory Council of The Arnold P. Gold Foundation, a public foundation dedicated to fostering humanism in medicine (1999-present)
· Legal Advisor Trustee on the Board of Trustees of Temple Emanu-El of Westfield "I Have a Dream" Foundation, Inc. (2000-present)
· Temple Emanu-El of Westfield Co-Chair of Library Committee (2011-present); member of Religious School Committee (2007-present), Leadership Development program (2012); volunteer librarian (2007-present)
· Liberty Science Center Women's Leadership Council Member
· Rutgers Institute for Ethical Leadership Patron Member
· @BrettHarrisEsq for tweets on business and nonprofit matters, technology law and issues of interest to professional women
Area of Emphasis:
General Corporate Counseling, Nonprofit & Charitable Organizations, Intellectual Property Protections, Technology Contracting and Software Licensing, Cybersecurity and Data Protection, Employment and Consulting Agreements, Shareholder Relationships and Limited Liability Company Operating Agreements, Mergers and Acquisitions, Restrictive Covenants and Confidentiality Agreements
· All Great Businesses Begin with a Good Idea
· Desk Reference Manual for Nonprofit and Social Service Organizations (2010)
· Piercing the Registrant's Veil
· Clearing the Way for Marks: Due Diligence Searches Are Critical In Advising Clients On The Selection And Prosecution Of Trademarks
· Internet Update - Milestone Changes to the Domain Name System Underway
· Attestation Process Now Open for Federal Incentive Funds