Jonathan has 30 years of experience in assisting domestic and foreign companies, public-private partnerships and agencies with transactions and litigation involving federal grants and contracts for information systems, software and services, communications equipment and services, life sciences products, defense hardware and materials, support services, humanitarian and development assistance, infrastructure project development, and outsourcing. He has experience in all aspects of government procurement law, including requirements development, design of requests for proposals, contract bidding and negotiation, offer evaluation, intellectual property protection and technology transfer, subcontracting, contract financing, affirmative action and small business set-asides, cost accounting standards and audits, procurement integrity, and security clearances and classified matters. His experience also includes procurements in the United States by foreign governments of defense and information systems, representation of foreign companies in federal procurements, and sales of products and services to state and local government agencies.
Jonathan has extensive experience in privacy and data security, with a focus on data privacy and security law and regulation governing federal agencies and federal contractors. He conducts risk assessments to determine data privacy risks to assess privacy practices, and assists with drafting and implementation of privacy policies, information security policies, and data security breach response and remediation.
He also assists clients in compliance and licensing under the ITAR and EAR export controls, foreign licensing of government-funded R&D, and compliance involving foreign acquisition and control of US entities performing sensitive and classified work, including FOCI mitigation and CFIUS approvals.
Jonathan has litigated numerous government contract protests and claims before administrative tribunals and the federal courts. He also litigates FOIA, reverse FOIA and complex software, communications, and information systems contract cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts.
He is the author of many articles on government contracts matters, privacy and data security, and he has lectured on government contracts and information security matters at Duke University, the American University, and other institutions.
• Mintz Levin Attorney Jonathan T. Cain Earns Prestigious U.S. Government Information Privacy Professional Certification, (12.10.2013)
• Mintz Levin Member Jonathan Cain to Present on In-Q-Tel Investments to San Diego Technology Companies, (06.13.2013)
• Nine Mintz Levin Members Named Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (04.29.2013)
• Mintz Levin Advises on Top Greentech Deal of 2012, (01.08.2013)
• Mintz Levin's Energy and Clean Technology Practice Represents GreatPoint Energy in $1.25 Billion Joint Venture, (06.04.2012)
Recognitions & Awards
• Washington DC Super Lawyers: Government Contracts (2013)
• International Association of Privacy Professionals, CIPP/G
Author,Proposed Counterfeit Parts Rule Would Expand Coverage to Commercial Products Sold to Any Federal Agency,Government Contracts Alert (06.13.2014)
• Author,Data Security Advisory for Federal Contractors: Safeguarding Unclassified Controlled Technical Information,Government Contracts Advisory (12.11.2013)
• Author,NIST Opens 45-Day Comment Period on Cybersecurity Framework,Privacy & Security Alert (10.30.2013)
• Author,NIST Publishes Preliminary Federal Cybersecurity Framework for Comment,Privacy & Security Alert (10.24.2013)
• Author,Federal Cybersecurity Framework Advances to Draft,Privacy & Security Alert (09.05.2013)
• Author,Health Care Services Providers to Federal Health Plan Members Subject to Federal Affirmative Action Compliance Audit,Health Law Advisory (04.08.2013)
• Author,Cloud Computing with Export-Controlled Data,Privacy and Security Advisory (03.12.2013)
• Author,Sequestration: Responding to Government Contract Delays and Changes,Government Contracts Alert (02.20.2013)
• Author,How to Respond to Government Contract Delays and Changes,Law360 (02.20.2013)
• Final SBIR Rules Published,Mintz Levin ML Strategies Advisory (01.03.2013)
• Author,Proposed SBIR Rules Published - Planning for Changes to SBIR-Funded Company Investments,Corporate & Securities Advisory (05.24.2012)
• Co-author,Massachusetts Legislature to Consider Paid Sick Leave and Minimum Wage Hike Bills,ML Strategies Alert (04.13.2012)
• Co-author,Invention Assignment Following Stanford v. Roche: Implications for Technology Transfer and Government Contracts,Energy & Clean Technology Alert (06.27.2011)
• Co-author,Invention Assignment Following Stanford v. Roche: Implications for Technology Transfer and Government Contracts,Life Sciences Alert (06.24.2011)
• Co-author,Reminder: Applications under the $1 Billion Qualifying Therapeutic Discovery Project Program Due July 21, 2010,Health Care Reform Advisory (06.30.2010)
• Co-author,Department of Labor Issues Final Rule Requiring Federal Contractors to Post Employee Rights,Government Contracts Alert (05.27.2010)
• Co-author,How to Apply for a Billion-Dollar Tax Credit and Grant Opportunity - New Guidance from the IRS,Health Care Reform Advisory (05.25.2010)
• Co-author,Update on the Billion-Dollar Tax Credit and Grant Opportunity: What Life Sciences Companies Can Do Now to Prepare,Health Care Reform Advisory (04.29.2010)
Speaker,Government Contracts,Six-Week Veteran-Owned Business Series - Week 6: Government Contracting, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (04.08.2014)
• Panelist,NIST Framework: How to Best Mitigate Cyber Risk for Your Organization, Mintz Levin, Boston, MA (03.25.2014)
• Speaker,Funding Your Company with an SBIR Education Technology Grant, Mintz Levin and LearnLaunch, Boston, MA (02.25.2014)
• Speaker,Corrupt or Compliant? Protecting Your Company and Executives from FCPA Liability in 2013, Association of Corporate Counsel San Diego Chapter, San Diego, CA (06.20.2013)
• Speaker,Keynote,Making an Intelligent Deal With In-Q-Tel: Risks and Rewards of Taking CIA-Backed Investment, CommNexus, San Diego, CA (06.19.2013)
• Speaker,Opening Remarks,In-Q-Tel Looking for Innovative Technologies from Emerging Companies, CommNexus, San Diego, CA (05.15.2013)
• Moderator,Government Contractor M&A In Era of Budget Uncertainty, CommNexus, San Diego, CA (10.23.2012)
• Speaker,Structuring Investment in SBIR Funded Companies: New Opportunities for Venture Capital, Mintz Levin and ML Strategies, Webinar (09.12.2012)
• Speaker,Legislative Update: Protecting the National Supply Chain,Fund Your Growth; Turn Commercial Applications into National Security Solutions, CONNECT, San Diego, CA (06.28.2012)
• Speaker,Building Your Business in the Defense Sector,San Diego Advanced Defense Technology Cluster Workshop, CONNECT, San Diego, CA (04.19.2011)